Huddle up. It's decision time.

JerseyJarred

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
Glad all turned out well in the end, some great advice here also. New boat looks great, enjoy it!

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks for the update and pics.

Beautiful boat!

HMBJack

Reaction score
Remember way back when when we pondered a trade? In a moment of weakness, I was thinking of downsizing to a CC like yours. In summary for me - I just couldn't separate myself (and my family) from our 330.

Looks like everything worked out just fine for you. You had your share of sleepless nights I'm sure but your mission was accomplished. You and your family are going to love love love that 330. Congratulations and I am very happy for you!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Supah! That 330 is what I will end up with some day, if I ever decide to replace this 270....very nice choice!:)

R

Reaction score
Ugh. I need some input on what to do next. I have a 2002 Grady White 273 Chase with twin Yamaha F225s that have 525 hours on them. The lower unit fix on both was done by the last owner. I put 315 hours on them in the past two years, and they had been running like a top. I love the boat, but I had decided to make the jump to a 330 Express to do more family cruising as well as overnight fishing trips. I also like to wahoo fish in the winter, which is pretty damn cold on a center console. I had not yet listed the 273 as I was still looking for just the right used 330. Well, now I got a problem. Long and short, the port engine out of nowhere decided it had enough, and it is gonna need a new powerhead. The question is, how best to proceed. Three basic choices are:

A. Have the port engine rebuilt, and then try and sell it;
B. Replace both engines with a pair of low hour, matching 250s and then sell the boat and also sell the damaged engine for parts and the good 225 for fair value; or
C. Repower with new 250s and keep it for a five-to-ten more years (would probably dump some other money into it as well for things I want but don't have i.e., radar, eisenglass curtains, etc.).

I am leaning towards A or B, since, in my mind, I had already moved on to the 330. C is palatable to me, however, since, it will probably be cheaper to pimp the current boat out then to move up, and the purchase and operating cost of the 330 still makes me queasy from time to time. Those are decisions for me, I guess, but what I need help with is what does everyone think is economically the best choice if I decide to go with A or B?

Is a boat with a rebuilt engine more or less palatable to potential buyers than a boat with engines purchased used? I would think I would pay more for a boat with some used 2008 250s than a 2002 225 and a rebuilt 225. What do you all think? I know people don't trust used engines since their is always the risk you are buying someone else's problem, but isn't that true on any used boat? Anything else to think about?

I appreciate your thoughts and input.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
X2 good luck with the new boat!