Hudson Stripers

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Had the Salty Dog out today n the Hudson by Newburgh with a few friends, it was a long time waiting for the Stripers to bite but we ended up landing 6 small ones, and a few catfish. The water was rough with the wind and moving tide. But we had a lot of laughs and got the Salty Dog a little bloody. Water Temp was 49.20200506_140429.jpg20200506_160529.jpg

Attachments

• 20200506_144925.jpg
    20200506_144925.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

seasick

Reaction score
NY has slot limits this year. North of the George Washington Bridge, one fish 18 to 28 inches. I am not sure if that includes Newburgh.
South of the GW bridge which includes the NY Bight, one fish 28 to 35 inches.
Nothing shorter or longer than the slot size.

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes 18 to 28 are keepers, last year you could keep a cow over 40. Now there are just good for photos.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Out here for me 18to24 are the best eaters.. Over that fun to catch. But throw back

Reactions: Heyspike

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
NY has slot limits this year. North of the George Washington Bridge, one fish 18 to 28 inches. I am not sure if that includes Newburgh.
South of the GW bridge which includes the NY Bight, one fish 28 to 35 inches.
Nothing shorter or longer than the slot size.
Hey Seasick, have you ever gone from the East river to the Sound? Is it difficult? Or are they just old sea stories?
My brother lives by Port Jefferson and I always thought of coming down the Hudson to the LI Sound one day.

seasick

Reaction score
Hey Seasick, have you ever gone from the East river to the Sound? Is it difficult? Or are they just old sea stories?
My brother lives by Port Jefferson and I always thought of coming down the Hudson to the LI Sound one day.
NO, it's more of a trip than I usually take. I tend to boat and fish in the opposite direction, the south shore which includes Brooklyn, the Narrows and the southern island coast. From there, the Jersey shore and Statin Island aren' that far away
I have boated down the east river from City Island. Some areas of that route like Hell's gate can have pretty nasty currents. It wasn't a lot of fun. I boated on a friends trawler style bucket of bolts. At best that boat made 6 knots and there were times when the currents stopped us in our tracks.The trip from City Island to Brooklyn took 6 hours that day.

Reactions: Heyspike