Hydraulic Fluid for Yamaha Tilt / Trim

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Last time I visited her, there was a small amt of what smelled and felt alot like ATF under the skeg. And when I ran the engine up and down, it wasn't real smooth. So, is it ATF? And what is involved in replenishing it? Any bleeding of hydraulic lines? The resevoir is NOT empty. Thanks. Is this a fluid that has to be replaced, or just kept topped off?

Won't be long now....those stripers will be running the bay. Am getting cabin fever bad!!!

seasick

Reaction score
Even a small amount on the skeg is an issue. You seem to have a leak somewhere. Hopefully, it's something minor, It usually isn't.
Lower the motor and check and top off the level if necessary. Clean up the oil spots and run the tilt through its paces a few times. Look for spray while in motion, drip or leaks after use. Don't stand under the engine just in case a line or seal pops.
Sometimes the leaks are very small and its easier and a lot less expensive to top off now and then as opposed to a repair.

Good luck

greenhabah

Reaction score
I had a small leak over the winter and after talking to the dealer I did nothing (forget what their explantion was). About about a season and a half later it was in the shop getting a new $1500 pump.

seasick

Reaction score
greenhabah said:
I had a small leak over the winter and after talking to the dealer I did nothing (forget what their explantion was). About about a season and a half later it was in the shop getting a new $1500 pump.

I assume that the original leak was in the pump. If it's going to go, it's going to go. The price paid is about right for a dealer install. My point is that putting off the repair probably didn't do any more harm as long as you weren't running the pump dry for prolonged periods.
So if you put that $1500 in a low interest paying cd for a year, you would have earned enough interest for about 5 gals of fuel:)

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I replaced a seal on top of one my cylinders for $5 or something and it solved a nasty leak. Topped with ATF and perfect ever since.

Enough Already

Reaction score
I kept topping mine off to keep up with a small leak. Used regular red ATF. Check a Yami manual, there is a specific "bleed" sequence to ensure things are really topped off. Ended up writing the big check to get all seals replaced last year. Perfect since then.

gw204

Reaction score
I took my old 225s in because they would drop down on their own when tilted up. There was evidence of trim/tilt fluid on the tops of one or two of the smaller rams. I was expecting to have to have the seals replaced but instead the shop flushed the old fluid from the system and replaced with new and it solved the droopy trim issues. I think the fluid on top of the rams stopped too.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ATF - Which one?

Does is matter which ATF you use? I'm sure Yami would love you to buy their formula....