Hydraulic steering problem

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Back to bleeding for a minute, Have bled my system numerous time, changing seals etc. and lately with the AP. One question, is the bleed the same with the variable ways suggested above, when there is an auto pilot in the system?

NORTONP

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I ordered a new cylinder, thanks for your offer to help out, though.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Back to bleeding for a minute, Have bled my system numerous time, changing seals etc. and lately with the AP. One question, is the bleed the same with the variable ways suggested above, when there is an auto pilot in the system?
We attempted to bleed the sea star system for my 272 Sailfish and could never get it perfect. Paid the dealer $150 to bleed it with their sea star bleeding pump. Best $150 I ever spent. Perhaps it’s easy for others but steering is critical so I will always have the dealer/experts do it.

Not sure about the auto pilot as my old boat didn’t have one. Service guy is coming by in a few days to change out seals and bleed. I’ll be watching to see how he does it.

seasick

Reaction score
Having a pressurized fill tank makes bleeding sooo much easier. I suppose if one were creative, he or she could make such a device using a smallish garden sprayer bottle. You don't need a lot of pressure, just enough to keep the reservoir full.

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Did you bleed the system following the Seastar instructions? If you bled it by yourself, you didn't follow those instructions:)
The fact that the motor 'falls' over when tilted up means one of two things 1. there is air in the system or 2. you have a leak. It is also possible that the check valves in the pump head are dirty. In that case you can have bleed back but you won't leak oil. The valves may be accessible from behind the dash
So, do you loose oil?

On another topic. The trim tab should be adjusted so that the back end (aft) of the tab is turned a small amount to the right, maybe 15 degrees or less as a starting point . Bad adjustment of the tab may put extra turning force on the steering but it is not your problem.
If you can, lower the motor, set to straight ahead and try to rotate it at the motor by pushing on it. If it is springy, the steering system has air. If it rotates without holding the steering wheel and you don't oil leaking, you have an internal leak.
Sometimes if the oil is changed out, a dirty/stuck check valve may clear up but you have to get as much of the old oil out as possible and you will need at least two bottles of new fluid to refill and bleed in

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
They also have a die you dump into and pump it thew trace the lines and look for leak ( OR ) do a pressure leak test with a gauge and air pump and see if it leaks down pressure . Good Luck