hydraulic steering

Rhinosinc

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Any tips on bleeding. The hydraulic steering on my 85 sailfish?

Rhinosinc

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks, my boat does not seem to have a fill port like the ones I have seen in the pics on the thread. Here is a pic of the block with the hydraulic hoses coming out. On each side there are access ports however they look bigger than the thing I bought at west marine to fill it.

Attachments

• IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    943.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    955.1 KB · Views: 29

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If there are no fill ports on the outside of the console between the wheel and the fiberglass of the console then those slotted plugs must be the fill. I'm not sure of the picture orientation but the plug should be on the top so you can fill it by gravity. The pump body is not pressurized so it is OK to connect a hose at that slotted fitting(if it does open into the reservoir) and route it to an easier location to fill. The cap on the satellite reservoir just needs to be vented. If you can find a name or number so you can research the thing would be a good starting point. With a picture of the exposed area where the wheel connects might help guys identify the thing for you. I'm sure you aren't the only one to have owned one.

Rhinosinc

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks I had to take the pictures lieing down on my back, I'm sure those are the fill plugs but they are on the sides. I guess I will have to investigate more to see if there might be a resivore .

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Are you positive that there is no plug on top of the "black" thing in front of your steering wheel? Maybe you just didn't look close enough? That's weird if there isn't.

Rhinosinc

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ah ha I got it! I have a reserve tank for power steering. It has a bleeder valve right on it. The %*^¥ re is hidden in the battery compartment. Thanks everyone.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's certainly strange! That remote tank is lower than the helm, right? I always thought the bleeding process had to be done from the highest spot?

That would be weird, again, if it was a stern drive. A stern drive would (should) have power steering just like a car.