I asked a question about GW's & wood

ttles714

Reaction score
Being new to this Forum, and thinking I could get some honest answers from grady owners seems to have ruffled some feathers.. I guess if there is something negative about gradys it should not be mentioned here or one becomes a grady basher from another forum.. I was merely trying to get some honest input and actually hoping to hear some positive comments.. like maybe they resolved there rot issues. Instead I learned that all wood rots and steel rusts...I DIDN'T KNOW THAT !! Maybe even with the rot problems they are still the best boat in there class...I don't know, and I guess thats what I was trying to find out. Before I lay out EXTRA money for a QUALITY boat, I want to know what I am getting. I keep things a long time..I don't mind paying more for quality..I do, however, think that no boat should need $5000 or more in structural repair costs in 10years or 20 years. Especially in a boat that is supposed to be better than the run of the mill. Especially in a boat that costs more from the start. I was hoping to get some input about all fiberglass grid/stringers as Wellcrafts are made... And maybe some pros and cons. I've owned 2 grady's in the last 32 years and still own my 240 offshore. I know how well they were made and I know that they have some shortcommings.. I was just looking to see if the shortcommings are still prevalent in there newer models. I don't want to buy a 1999-2004(my budget) sailfish only to find that it needs new stringers or a transom. Now or 3 years from now.

ocdansar

Reaction score
The fuel tank cover on my 2001 330 express is going to have to be redone this winter. I am disapointed it didn't last very long.

striped bass

Reaction score
Grady White provides a life time warranty on all wood core, stringers and deck panels as stated in their brochure. Starting in 1998 Grady started using Greenwood XL which is the wood still in use today. If you call Grady White in Greenville, N.C. they will tell you unequivocally that the warranty for the wood core in your Grady is a lifetime guarantee. My inquiry on this very issue got this direct quote from Grady management: "All of our bulkheads/stringers, deck panels and other coring are made of treated wood carrying a lifetime warranty against rot and mildew. With that said, we also encapsulate all of this in fiberglass to add to the structure of the boat." So if you buy a 1999 or newer Grady you are covered.

Can't beat that!

richie rich

Reaction score
TTLES,

as Striped bass mentioned they do warranty the wood these days...but since it fairly new (10 years) time will tell if the new wood worked for a 20 year old boat...that means all you have to rely on is the warranty and how much the remaining qualities of the boat meets or exceeds your needs...like I said before its your money...take other boats for a ride and see how they feel to you....the big stink about lighter weight cored boats is they have a harsher ride when hitting some big waves,,,and the Grady with all its wood parts them like the Red Sea......well, do a sea trial and see how well the Wellcraft stands up to the newer Grady....maybe it will surprise you, and maybe the old theory of density to absorb the hit still works better....you won't get that answer on the web....you gotta try it...and if you feel good about a boat...any boat...buy it...its your peice of mind at risk here...not anyone elses...we made our own beds when we laid down the cash a long time ago......good luck...and tell us what you found...should be interesting.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
this was your original post:

"Does anyone know why grady is still using wood in the stringers and transomes...??"

just joining and "lobbing" that out there may have lead some to believe you were here to "stir the pot" as it is said elsewhere. there are many that trash the make because of the use of wood.

the owners on this site are very good in providing the positives and negatives of the boats they own. there is no koolaide being served here.

just ask the detailed questions you want answered and you will get detailed responses. ron

ttles714

Reaction score
thanks for info ..1999 and up wood warranty

That makes life a lot easier...not to mention the piece of mind as I am looking at 2000 thru 2004..I am going to send Grady an e-mail to find out if the warranty , covers material and labor and if it is transferable. Or does anyone know.....thanks again

richie rich

Reaction score
Ocdansar, based on what they have told folks on this site....I would make them replace/repair it......lets see if they put up or shut up on the warranty....that will help others make up their mind on the "lifetime" warranty and whether its worth the extra money! If they do or they don't, please let everyone on this site know about it.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the transom is dry in the boat 1999 or newer and STAYS dry it will be good 20 years now. If it has the aluminum cap under the motors seal it right away (it's going to cost a few bucks but will be worth it). Reseal any other penetrations through the transom since they may not be done properly.

For the stringers, the design where the gas tank cover screws right into the wood isn't the best and can lead to trouble. The screws should be resealed yearly or at the least every 2 years. Where they should screw into the stringers should be drilled out and filled with epoxy (mine are going to need work in the future). The screws go right through the wood in the covers so any water that makes it past the screws will also saturate the core of the cover. Where the screws go through should be drilled out and also filled with eopxy then re-drilled for the screw.

By the helm where the formica covered wood contacts the deck should be sealed.

There's problems with boats costing 7 figures so it's not just Grady that has some short-comings. Gradys cost more but in 20 years the boat is still worth something. There is a bigger outlay than some others but the value doesn't sink like an anchor. The lay-out of the boat is also one of the best. Grady manages to put quite a bit (and where you would want it) in a boat of whatever size.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ocdansar said:
So does that mean GW will repair my gas tank cover under warranty?

What exactly happened to the deck?Did it get soft?

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

richie rich

Reaction score
Grog, all that you said about preventing future problems is all true, but Ocdansr already has a problem, on a boat thats only 8 years old, and probably cost a few 100 g's....as consumers, we should make the manufacturer honor their warranty...we do it with power tools, TV's and cars, so we should do the same, if not more because of the price, with our boats. He's not asking for a new hull after reefing it, he's asking for a reasonable replacement of a part that should last 30+ years. If he goes to his local dealer, they should contact GW who should then tell the shop floor manager to make an extra deck hatch today and ship it to back for installation.....there really should be no argument on whether or not they should do it if they really stand behind their warranty...and it doesn't even matter who the manufacturer is or its quality...if it's under warranty, stand behind it.....Consumers should demand this of any manufacturer for any product they buy.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
grog,
i just started resealing all the deck screws on my 2009. (i've been waiting for a stretch of dry weather.) i had noticed on my '02 gulfstream that those screws weren't sealed the way i would have; so i did it. just have the cockpit access plates to do.

after that, i want to change or seriously seal the 4 access ports in the motor well. anybody use armstrongs back there or the ss suncor lockdown ports?

nothing is perfect, and i am not shy about sending gw emails about where they need to step up. ron

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ocdansar said:
So does that mean GW will repair my gas tank cover under warranty?

if it is bad and in need of an extensive repair, i would go to them. if there is just some minor problems, you might want to try the gitrot product that they use to repair wooden boats.

ocdansar

Reaction score
It is soft on the front port side. It has been this way for awhile, but keeps getting bigger. I have repaired these on my other GW's but I didn't think it would be an issue on one this new. I haven't contacted them about it, I hate to be a whiner especially in this economy, I am capable of fixing it myself and cost shouldn't be that bad. On another note the boat is an 01 hull #26 I bought it dec of 2004 and it had a crack in the front lower chines which survey missed, I called GW and they flew an engineer down to have a look at it, and they agreed to fix it any way I wanted them to, either here in fl or back at the plant in nc, I told them I wanted to use the boat for awhile, they said fine call them when I was ready to have it fixed. I used the boat until september 05 and called them and they sent a truck for it , back to nc it went and they fixed it great plus some other issues I had with it and shipped it back with no cost to me. I was pretty impressed with there service.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
might be something to do yourself if it is straight forward. the removable decks can be fixed from the underside. haven't done it myself, but know someone doing it now.

richie rich

Reaction score
Ocdansar, they took your boat back to NC and repaired ot Pro-Bono and shipped it back? Thats really good customer service.....I don't know many builders who would do that...I would figure they'd have a local shop repair it under their supervision...but to bring it home??? Nice.....if they give you a new hatch that will be excellent......based on this true story, TTles714 will have to think long and hard about that new boat.....will the other manufacturers do the same? Looks like we now know Grady..."wood" :lol:

richie rich

Reaction score
the only true way is to open her up and check....tell tail signs something is going wrong.....lower than normal scupper from previous years, spider cracks in strange areas and a rotten smell in the middle of a hot summer

Barry Pugh

Reaction score
The deck was pulled to install a new generator. I have crawled into every hole working on items and nothing yet. I may be lucky though the way it sounds. Barry.