I need advice on replacing the doors to my cabin

89overnighter

Reaction score
I'm new here so any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have an 89 overnighter and I want to replace the wooden door with fiberglass or something similar. I've looked online for replacements with no luck. My doors are still functional by they are ugly beyond belief. Thanks

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Maybe Starboard? Fiberglass will be expensive unless you can make it yourself.

catch22

Reaction score
Imo, the best material I have found for projects like that is closed cell pvc. it's used for a lot of home siding and trim applications, but works out well for any exterior projects.

There's a number of brands out there,

Azek - http://www.azek.com/products.php
Versatex - http://www.versatex.com/product_offering.html
Certainteed and many others.

Some sell full size sheets, 4' x 8', (and larger) and some sell only trim boards. I'm not exactly sure how big their trim boards are, but I think they have up to at least 12 inch's wide, usually up to one inch thick, (maybe more) and that should be ok for making a cabin, (bi-fold) door. I think it will be easier to find the trim boards, and cheaper too.

Not sure if places like Home depot or Lowes carries these specific brands, but they should have something similar. Might want to check their websites for dealers. I believe 84 Lumber is a dealer for either Azek or Versatex. You can check out any local lumber yard too.

I used Azek for a small project and it worked great. It's lighter and easier to work with than polyethylene, (Starboard). Cuts, drill and screws together easily. You can also glue it together. It's paintable, but not necessary. Again, imo... this stuff is excellent for doors, cabinettes, drawers, trim etc.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Give Finaddict marine a call, you can get the correct color.
Or, check out Greatlakes Skipper. I have seen some generic ones listed in the past.
You could of course remove the doors, sand them and re oil them and they will look great for 6 months. Be sure to apply the oil before you have to the next time.

Workdog

Reaction score
Some people say this can't/shouldn't be done,... but, I have great luck power washing my louvered doors. You brush on that acid wash teak cleaner, then power wash the panels. If there is some grain that stands up after the doors dry sand it, then apply several coats of teak oil or cetol. My doors (and the rest of the teak for that matter) look great. You would be surprised how good they can look. I also think that power washing gets much more of the mold out of the grain of the teak than sanding does. The finish will look good longer. Sanding louvered doors is a pain in the azz.