I think I'm done

bill4169

Reaction score
I had my 87 20 foot overnighter repowered 3 years ago with a yamaha 150 4 stroke. No my problem I had the sterring cable changed at the same time with teleflex. Bad idea... I have a 70 year old father and he can't steer the boat. i broght it back to the dealer and he said it was normal. (Even though I have my doubts) So now I am looking at a hydrolic set up. My question is what should I get and are they hard to install??

1998sailfish

Reaction score
bill4169 said:
I had my 87 20 foot overnighter repowered 3 years ago with a yamaha 150 4 stroke. No my problem I had the sterring cable changed at the same time with teleflex. Bad idea... I have a 70 year old father and he can't steer the boat. i broght it back to the dealer and he said it was normal. (Even though I have my doubts) So now I am looking at a hydrolic set up. My question is what should I get and are they hard to install??

Sea Star................difficulty level of install is moderate but involved.

artwhitting

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
if you have cable steering and a 4 stroke engine, you will love hydraulic steering. Remember manual over power steering? The last time a drove a cable steering on a friends 150hp yami , I had to wear a leather glove to protect my hand. If you don't want to buy new and you can install a steering seal, send me an email at artwhitting@gmail.com I have a complete system that just needs a steering seal, I have the seal.

seasick

Reaction score
Manual will be harder than hydraulic but it should still be usable especially with only a 150. So the questions is; Why is it so tough to steer?
You said you had the steering cable replaced. Was it just the cable or the steering box too? ( The steering box may be shot)
Is the new cable the correct length with no sharp bends?
Is the boat harder to steer to one side compared to the other at speed?( If so, trim tab is set incorrectly)
Does motor swing freely ( you have to disconnect the steering rod to check).

I suspect that there is something else going on here and not just a manual vs hydraulic issue..