Ideas for making a table?

jfmagana

Reaction score
I'm not getting any younger, and lifting 50 lb crab pots over the gunnel and setting them on the deck is getting harder every year. So, I was thinking of making a plywood table or something that could straddle the gunnel next to my crab pot puller. That way, I could just pull the pot up onto the table and unload, rebait, etc. easier (i.e., at waist level instead of bending over to work on the deck). Anybody have a clever idea for how I could construct such a staging table? My 228 is just a wee little boat, so I don't have space for a huge set-up like you'd see on The Most Dangerous Catch...just thinking of something simple.

GT

Reaction score
I may not fully understand the set up you have, but what if you were to build a table that would mount into one of the flush mounted rod holders? On my Seafarer I built my own bait table out of starboard and bought a swivel mount with post that lays into the rod holder. The table is extra deep for big baits so it hangs over the boat a bit more than usual but its flush to the gunnel - doesnt get bumped into.

seasick

Reaction score
I second GTs reply. Magma makes bait tables and swivel mounts that fit the rod holders. You can purchase the swivel mounts separately. My only concern is the weight. I would use the mount to hold latteral position and add something else to the bottom of the board that rests on the gunnels to distribute the load.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I assume you have 2 rod holders on the gunnel, this idea may work with one as well.

Use a piece of exterior 3/4" ply wood 2' wide by 3' in length. Cut the wood in half 24"x18" or so.

Install three stainless hinges on the bottom of the table for a hinge.

Install the Magma table mounts on the bottom of the table near the ends(they fold up for storage).

Cut 2 pieces of wood in with a U channel that accepts the gunnel, maybe 4-6" wide along the gunnel. You likley only need to go a few inches over the gunnel on each side (over rub rail). Install a strong rubber pad on them (I suggest heavy white rubber that is used on electronic rework benches - quite heavy. I use throw these over the gunnel in the NE when lobstering) so they don't scratch the boat or hurt the combing bolsters. Screw the two U channels near the hinges to each side of the table.

To install, you open it up, and simultaneously slide the U channels over the gunnel and guide the mounts into the rod holder mounts and lock the mounts down. The table is held in via the 2 mounts and the two U channels.

The U channels will give a good stable platform abeam and the two rod holder mounts lock it in place fore/aft.

It would fold up fairly neat 24 wide X 18 long by X9 thick. You could make the table smaller if you have storage concerns.

Just a thought...

HMBJack

Reaction score
Hey John,

I use one of those really big 150 quart white igloo coolers as a "sorting table". Also, at this time of year (in prep for crabbing), I disconnect the feed line to the live well and connect a 8 foot clear hose to it looping it up and over the starboard stern side rod holders (near the fuel valve). Then I tie with a shoelace the end of that hose to the top of the big white cooler - through that little door that opens on the top lid. With this, I have a large and very portable live well. After the live well is filled, I let the crabs swim around for say 15 minutes then I drain it with the bottom drain plug on the cooler (water flows out the scuppers). Then I'll fill her up again and repeat the process to keep the water fresh. The beauty of this is two fold: (1) serves as a "sorting table" and (2) when you hit the dock, you simply drain the water from the cooler and carry it off the boat. No crabs to transfer. Works great. Just a thought. - Jack p.s. installed a new Electra-dyne recently so now I'm hoping to pull pots full of crab! Call me at work if you wish to discuss or I'll see you at "F" Dock. Cheers,

jfmagana

Reaction score
Thanks Fishtales...this is a really interesting concept. Have you built one? If yes, perhaps you could post some pix? I'm going to hit the garage and start experimenting with some plywood.

Fishtales said:
I assume you have 2 rod holders on the gunnel, this idea may work with one as well.

Use a piece of exterior 3/4" ply wood 2' wide by 3' in length. Cut the wood in half 24"x18" or so.

Install three stainless hinges on the bottom of the table for a hinge.

Install the Magma table mounts on the bottom of the table near the ends(they fold up for storage).

Cut 2 pieces of wood in with a U channel that accepts the gunnel, maybe 4-6" wide along the gunnel. You likley only need to go a few inches over the gunnel on each side (over rub rail). Install a strong rubber pad on them (I suggest heavy white rubber that is used on electronic rework benches - quite heavy. I use throw these over the gunnel in the NE when lobstering) so they don't scratch the boat or hurt the combing bolsters. Screw the two U channels near the hinges to each side of the table.

To install, you open it up, and simultaneously slide the U channels over the gunnel and guide the mounts into the rod holder mounts and lock the mounts down. The table is held in via the 2 mounts and the two U channels.

The U channels will give a good stable platform abeam and the two rod holder mounts lock it in place fore/aft.

It would fold up fairly neat 24 wide X 18 long by X9 thick. You could make the table smaller if you have storage concerns.

Just a thought...

bc282

Reaction score
as space on a boat is always at a premium, i look for solutions that can do a several things and not just one and hence justify it's existence and place on the boat. Large strong lidded coolers store stuff like fish, gear, ice, and can be a table and can serve as additional seating--popular option.

Do you need a stool or extra seating on the boat?

if so, i suggest a sturdy folding plastic step stool or two.
(there are the shorter stools and also the taller step stools which i have). they fold up neatly and deploy easily, weigh little, strong, won't rust, come in a variety of colors and they're very cheap -- i paid $10-15 each.

the miss or mrs. or small kids might like it to help ease getting in and out of the boat too.