I'm breathing easier...

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I just drilled 18 holes below the waterline in the transom of my 2004 180 Sportsman. All the drill bit tailings were dry and looked like new wood...:D

The boat has been trailered and I'm in the middle of bottom painting so I decided to install some Lectrotabs. I was a little worried because I have some bangplate corrosion and that will be next. But if the bottom of the transom is dry, well that's just cocktail time.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That’s great to hear. What made you decide on the lectrotabs ?

seasick

Reaction score
I just drilled 18 holes below the waterline in the transom of my 2004 180 Sportsman. All the drill bit tailings were dry and looked like new wood...:D

The boat has been trailered and I'm in the middle of bottom painting so I decided to install some Lectrotabs. I was a little worried because I have some bangplate corrosion and that will be next. But if the bottom of the transom is dry, well that's just cocktail time.

To me it seems that you now have 18 new places where water can get into the structure.
The more common place for moisture is on the top edge under the trim. The top could be mush and the lower transom could be absolutely dry. I would have had a moisture meter test done across the entire transom.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
The top edge is dry but thanks for the good wishes.

I thought long and hard about trim tabs, seems like everyone who actually has them loves them and, properly installed, shouldn't be a problem.

I went with Lectrotabs because
  1. I didn't want to mess with the hydraulic pumps
  2. Lenco doesn't have a lifetime warranty
  3. Lectrotab actually picked up the phone and spoke with me the 3 times I called. Lenco did also but Bennett now has a voicemail message that basically tells you to send them an email. I sent a couple and it's now been 3 weeks and never got an answer. You cannot call and speak to anyone. Must be a Yamaha thing now that they own Bennett.
  4. Simpler install, sealed cable from actuator to control panel, no connections in bilge.

seasick

Reaction score
OK. I think I get it now, duh!
The holes were for the tabs! How did I not see that?