Impossible dome light question

crimson tide

Reaction score
I have a Grady center console with a perko dome light in the console. Here is the crazy part. The light wasn't working so I removed the domelight and checked for continuity which was good. The switch worked as it should on continuity test as well. It takes the standard 12V bayonet bulb. I then replaced the domelight and it still wouldn't work despite measuring 12V at fixture. I figured that the receptacle just wasn't holding bulb right and completeley replaced the receptacle. Still No Light despite being able to measure 12V with voltmeter at new contacts(just like old contacts). I have tried three different bulbs. What the $%#%%$*&&&&????? How is this possible???? I even tried old bulb after continuity testing it to make sure that bulb was fine, so I don't see how it can be the bulbs. I am measuring 12V with switch on and none with switch off, so I truly believe that power is present at receptacle. Maybe it really is rocket science. :bang

seasick

Reaction score
Two things come to mind. If there is a bad connection, it is possible to measure 12 volts if there is some continuity. The meter draws very little current. If you try with a test lamp instead, it probably wont work.
The second thought deals with what ground you used to reference the 12 volts. If you used something other than the ground wire at the fixture, then the actual fixture ground is probably open.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
x2 on what seasick said. You've got a bad wire somewhere. It's still connected so you can get 12 volts, but the resistance is too high to draw enough current to power the light bulb. You'll have to trace the wires back and check every splice and connection in the circuit. If it were me, I'd plan to replace every connector and possibly run new wires if when you go to crimp on new connectors the wire looks punky.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As others suggested, I strongly suggest your the ground is at fault. Yes, there is definitely 12 volts when you test with your meter, but when there is a load (yes even a 3 watt light bulb) the voltage drops significantly. I have seen the voltage drop from 13 volts to less than three volts with a lousy ground. I bet the wire or connector is heavilily corroded, could even be the fuse holder is corroded (ask me how I know...).