Inside Passage

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Who has made the voyage in their boat to the Alaskan glaciers?

I'm looking to do this trip next June and would like to know if anyone else here might be planning the trip as well.

Randy
Oregon

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Randy: A trip I would love to do once we complete the Great Loop but getting boat there (Seattle?) probably not practical. Please take us along via this forum when you go.

Tx, Rob

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Who has made the voyage in their boat to the Alaskan glaciers?

I'm looking to do this trip next June and would like to know if anyone else here might be planning the trip as well.

Randy
Oregon
70mph winds up there now with this storm

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thought about it for years, Was considering taking our commercial troller when we finally sold the licence, but never made the trip before selling the boat. Believe it would be an event to try it in our 208, but would like very much to hear the details of a trip by others. I think it would be a beautiful time on the water with the right timing for weather.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
One of the Eastern Grady Groups did this trip a few years ago. There was a write up in Anchorline. Looked Gorgeous. We have done an Inside Passage cruise on a relatively small cruise ship and that was great. But to be on your on boat through those waters...wow.

Would my insurance company have a problem with us renaming our boat the Titanic before heading out...;)

And if we did, is there any point in wearing life vests in those waters...:eek:

Skipper

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi Randy. We have been thinking about that trip for years. We finally have a boat that we would feel safe using to do it. I don't think this coming up June (2022) is likely. Probably the following year (2023) is more realistic for us. I would rather go in the presence of another boat or two for safety reasons. We are on the east cost of Vancouver island. If you happen to delay your trip for some reason let me know. And if you do go, as others have mentioned, post as much as you can on here so we can all enjoy!

Reactions: Meanwhile

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That trip is on my bucket list. I would like to first try a trip to Rivers Inlet as a test as Cape Caution is a big hurdle just by itself. I have fished an hour north of Port Hardy numerous times but haven’t ventured further North.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
That trip is on my bucket list. I would like to first try a trip to Rivers Inlet as a test as Cape Caution is a big hurdle just by itself. I have fished an hour north of Port Hardy numerous times but haven’t ventured further North.
Pine Island is the furthest I've fished past Port Hardy. Loved that area.Screenshot_20211025-214838_Boating.jpg

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Boats from the Northwest Grady White Club venture Everywhere!! Find us on Facebook and our website www.nwgwc.org. Rivers Inlet, Hakai, West Side Vancouver Island (all the way around). All sizes, wives, families, friends AND GW STAFF!

Pescadote

Reaction score
Went to Port Hardy 11 years in a row in my 17' Arima.

Love Pine Island, but I like Bremner and Cape Suttel even better. Darn Covid has kept me out of Canada and Port Hardy for two year, but I am hoping to be back again this summer. Not ready to make the trip all the way up, but I can see the appeal, and can't wait to get my new to me Grady up there.

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Rough trip in a Arima, you will have NO problem in your Grady! Wind vrs Tide, wave height & swell. Best time, lv at 4am FOG (Radar required) smooooth all the way!!!
3-3.5 hours to Duncanby.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Went to Port Hardy 11 years in a row in my 17' Arima.

Love Pine Island, but I like Bremner and Cape Suttel even better. Darn Covid has kept me out of Canada and Port Hardy for two year, but I am hoping to be back again this summer. Not ready to make the trip all the way up, but I can see the appeal, and can't wait to get my new to me Grady up there.
It’s interesting that you mention Bremner Islet area as I saw a fishing show a few weeks ago and the host was hammering springs (kings) there. I have wondered how much of a run it would be past Pine Island? ie 30 minutes or so. I have fished Cape Sutil quite a bit, very productive especially around the corner towards Cape Scott. Trolled up a Hali there last year for the first time.

Pescadote

Reaction score
There are no fish at Bremner, I wouldn't waste the 1 or 1.5 hour trip out there from Port Hardy. ;)

In all seriousness, I would take three jerry cans of gas in my Arima (28 gallon main tank) so I could make that trip as much as possible. I have had higher numbers at Suttel and around the corner, but our biggest "Spring" has been a 43 pounder at Bremner and we also caught a 108 pound halibut close by when you could still keep that big. That's a big 'but in a little Arima - took up the whole back end of the boat.

From PH, cut through the Deserter's group and it's a straight shot all the way up there. It is sooo much fun up there - I dream about it all year.