inspection plates

busterbrown

Reaction score
Got a question on the plates,last week took ownership of a 93 Gulfstream,went to replace the o-rings on the deck plates,stopped by Grady dealer,right size,but when. I went to pop the plate back in,would not fit,do they make different thickness or diameter was right. Thanks in advance

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
make sure the grooves on the plate and deck ring are clean. you want a tight fit there. i actually put silicone grease on the o-ring (carefully or you'll pull it apart) and press the plate in. been working for me for a long time. good luck, ron

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ok. Will give that a try,when I campsites the new to the old the old 1 looked thinner but figured that was from age

gw204

Reaction score
Make sure the o-rings are for the correct manufacturer. Grady used to use deckplates from Tempress. I'm not sure what they use now, but if you dealer gave you ones for Beckson or someone else, the o-rings might not be exactly the right size.

busterbrown

Reaction score
You know,that's the 1 thing I forgot to look at before going there,will check to see what brand it is. Thanks

busterbrown

Reaction score
Yep. You were right,the rings I got from the dealer were Beckson's

Fishtales

Reaction score
The earlier boats used a smaller diameter inspection port as I recall - 5 inches from a different manufacturer. Some may have 6 inch ports from a different manufacturer as well

Recent models use the 6 inch Beckson ports. You can get them directly from Beckson ( both o rings and complete plate assemblies) if desired. If you have the 6 inch ports, you can replace the entire assembly with either the pop out style or the screw in style. Get the latter for your euro transom area as these are more secure.