Installation of livewell

mobyfern

Reaction score
I have owned a 1996 268 islander for a few years and have not used her for a while and would like to start to do some serious fishing. I was amazed when I first got the boat that it did not have a live well. Any suggestions on what would be the best compartment to use or do I go with an external one. Mobyfern

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! It's a great grady place!

It's tough to beat the Kodiak baitwells. My favorite is the 32 high, I have one that mounts right in front of the motor at the back of the cockpit, overflow pipes out over the motorwell. It has the quick mount pads, so four screws and it comes out for non-fishing outings.

All you ever wanted to know about baitwells: http://www.livebaitlarry.com
Great prices too.

For the Islander I would mount one in the center of the cockpit.

mobyfern

Reaction score
Thanks CB, If I understand correctly you have it mounted in front of the bench. Correct? Is the intake valves also over the transom in the back? Did you install the pump stationary? Mobyfern

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a bronze thru-hull with a seacock, and a Shurflo 800gpm baitsentry pump. I installed two hose bibs in the cockpit for the baitwell and a washdown pump. The pickup/pump is just thwartship from the bilge pump. I think there were already wires to the switch panel.
Here's a pic with the tabs and hose bibs. The tank mounts here and the overflow goes over the motor well. The 22 and 32 gallon are tall tanks and the outflow is easy to route this way.
On a bigger boat I like them in the center of the cockpit.
Oh, and added rod holders that work great here, and you can't bung your ankle when the tank is out.

DSC00445.jpg

mobyfern

Reaction score
Thanks CB, I think that I will be doing the same set up I think it would work great. I will post some pics once it is done. Thanks for the Tips. Mobyfern