Installing live well pump

gas

Reaction score
I own a 222 Fisherman with pedestal seats which means the boat does not have a livewell. It does have raw water wash down. I plan to use a garbage can as a portable livewell. Can anyone tell me ( step by step I hope )how to revise the existing salt water intake for the raw water wash down to mount a live well pump. What size pump will fit on the intake etc.

seasick

Reaction score
In theory the job is easy but there are things that need to be considered. First of all, the current raw water wash-down pump may or may not be rated for continuous duty. The worst that would happen is that it would overheat but it probably it won't do that. Continuous use may lead to shorter life though. The second and more important consideration is the gallon per minute rating of the pump. It should be matched to the size of your live well to provide the appropriate number of water changes per hour. For a 30 gal tank as an example, you need a pump rated at about 10 GPM or so. Your pail may be smaller so a smaller pump is OK.
The existing wash down would feed the tank. The tank(pail) would have a cutout, fitting and a hose somewhere near the top for overflow and a drain at the bottom to empty the tank. Of course you could eliminate the drain and just dump the tank when finished using it. The overflow can drain onto the deck or over the side.

One thing to be aware of is that the tank will be heavy when full and unless lashed down could fly about.

gas

Reaction score
Thanks Seasick. The raw water wash down pump is not made for continious use. Therefore I was really looking for directions as to how to change the hardware on the water intake to mount a livewell pump.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think all you need to do is unscrew one pump from the valve and screw the other on. The Amp ratings for either pump are close enough that you can reuse the wiring and switch. Raw water wash down pump has a pressure switch that usually is mounted on the pump itself so it should not cause a problem. The valves are the same for both pumps on my boat.

If the boat is in the water, make sure you close the valve before removing the pump.......