Installing Speakers on a Grady White Escape 209

Alexjr45

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been searching the net and still cant get a clear answer. So I have a 93 Escape 209, the boat is in perfect condition, it was pretty much never used. It was my father in laws boat and he kept it pretty much as a trophy boat. Now that I have taken it over I want to install a radio on the boat since it never came with one. I have already decided the set up I am going use and have already purchased the speakers. I bought a pair of JL Audio 6.5 in speakers which all the reviews swear by. My issue is now, where do i put them. I am hesitant to make holes in the boat since like I said its in perfect condition but from what I read flush mounted speakers are better than box speakers. I was thinking the best spot would be on the sides of the center console since it will not require me to run too many cables. I want to know if anyone else has done this or if anyone recommends to put them somewhere else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DUUUUUG

Reaction score
I have a 2004 209 Escape.
Mine came with speakers installed.
Two Box Speakers in the Center Console down low facing the rear of the boat.
It doesn't look like it but these two stay pretty protected from water/weather.

Two speakers, one under each rear seat facing forward.
These speakers get wet all the time while using the washing down and while cleaning the boat

I would tend to think that if you mount them on each side of the center console they would see a lot of weather and get wet.
But, I do have to say that I really don't have any problem with getting wet while riding so the only bad time for the speakers would be in the rain.

Another guy that has a 208 was talking about mounting box speakers, one under each gunnel (food for thought)

Alexjr45

Reaction score
Thanks DUG for writing back. I see you wrote that you have box speakers in your center console but i actually want then in the center console not in a box. Has anyone had any experience cutting the hole in the console. I took a look at mine and the walls of it seem thicker than in other places on the boat.

cedarholm

Reaction score
I also have a 1993 209.

My speakers came with the boat.

They are not mounted on the center console.

They are cut into the sides across from the console.