Interesting solution to steering issue

phazzard

Reaction score
Hi All;
This is kind of a funny story, but on the off chance that it helps someone else, I'll post it - even if it makes me feel slightly more idiotic than usual. :oops:

I was having my boat (1993 Adv 208/Yamaha 150 2S) serviced for some E10-related fuel issues (which, thankfully seem to be resolved) and when talking to the mechanic, he asked me how long I've owned the boat (since last fall) and whether I've had trouble docking/handling it. I told him I've been really frustrated, but resigned myself to the learning curve of a slightly larger/heavier boat and the fact that I have a fairly tight "inside" slip.

He laughed and told me that he couldn't land it to save his life. Apparently, the steering was connected to the hole on the front of the engine designed to control a twin-engine configuration and I was only getting about 50 percent of the turning capability of the boat! He made the fix - 15 minutes and one bolt - and I feel like I have a new boat! I could always pivot my old boat (Wellcraft 19 CC) very easily and can now do the same with my Grady - yay!

Pete H

catch22

Reaction score
Good mechanic. :)

I replaced the steering ram, (Seastar) last year on a 228 Seafarer. The older, original ram, (hc-5340-42) used the front mounting hole. The newer hc-5345 uses the real hole. It's a slightly shorter ram that gives you the same, full steering travel.