Interesting trade

shadow379

Reaction score
I was at a boat fabricating facility getting a estimate on a couple of modifications to my 1980 Offshore 240 and the owner wanted to see if I was interested in trading my boat and a couple of grand to him for his 25 sailfish, with a new 454 I/O. It would be a good deal if it had outboards, just not sure I want another I/O. Your thoughts.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I/O

The best running, most ecomomical boat/motor combination I ever had was a 204 Grady with a Merc 270 4-cyl gas engine. I could run at 25 mph forever on one tank of gas (70 gal). It was the ultimate 4-cycle engine, no oil, no smoke, no problems. Used it for 12 years.

Sold that boat/engine combination and bought my 246G Grady with a 225 Johnson. The only time it didn't drink gas like it was water and burn oil like it was free was when it was in the shop getting a new power head. Finally, after three years and three power heads, I replaced the johnson with a Optimax. Better fuel and oil figures but still no where near as good as the I/O.

I havn't sold my 246 yet but did buy a 283 Release with twin 250 Yamaha 4-strokes. I only have 18 hours on them but they seem to get as good as the Optimax but nothing will beat that I/O combination.

Good luck with your decision.

Ed

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
Although the 25 Sailfish is 1 foot wider the fishing area is not bigger. The motor takes up room. The big down side of the IO is that the drive is always in the water and very subject to corosion and galvanic action in the salt water enviornment that you are in. I feel that you would be better off waiting until you find an outboard powered Sailfish or another GW without the IO drive

JeffN

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the 25' came with the 454 and the owner recently replaced the engine as the new version is a 496. Did he replace the intermediate housing and drive or just the motor? Only you can be the judge of what you like. Take the 25' for a test ride and see, it will be a lot different than your 24'. I repowered my 25' a couple of seasons ago with a 496 and love it. I previously had twin 470 merc I/Os. I response to Marty grady's comments I have noted here before my original I/Os ONLY lasted 24 seasons before replacement and the boat is in the water five months a year. Just to offer a counterpoint. As to how much space the motor takes up I have fished the bracket and euro transon boats and to me it is mostly a wash. The motors on a euro transom or bracket are way back there. I am used to my set up and prefer fishing it compared to outboards. As I said only you can decide, take a ride and see.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I personally like the I/O's........

I recently replaced my Mercruiser w/ a 300HP SBC by myself in my driveway.......can't do that w/ an OB!

The maintenance may be a bit more with an I/O.......but at least you can still work on 'em if you're handy.

I am turning a 17" prop and do 30MPH @ 3600RPM.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Try it you might like it!

Those I/O reliability testamonials are great. My Sailfish ran the original 260 Mercruiser for 19 years and was then repowered with the 2006 Mercruiser 350 MPI Horizon(300 hp) Bravo II package. I would certainly consider that Sailfish closely. As stated these setups are a handymans dream. Stay on top of your maintenance and I'd bet that old girl will give you years of good service. I do love mine and would definitely go the same way again! 8)

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That could be a nice find. We had a good thread on I/O's recently see "Volvo i/o anyone" 10/8 thru 10/14. Many of us that participate in the forum have had very good experiences with our I/O Grady's.
If the hull has good integrity, and the drive has been maintained - then don't pass on it because it is an I/O.

Oceanbean 93 Explorer 245 with a volvo penta duo prop.

Desperado

Reaction score
My last boat was a Wellcraft with a Volvo I/O. I did not have any problems with it. You just have to periodically replace the belllows, manifolds, and risers.

gw204

Reaction score
'84Offshore said:
I recently replaced my Mercruiser w/ a 300HP SBC by myself in my driveway.......can't do that w/ an OB!

Sure you can. I just did it with a pair of 200 Yamahas. :D

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a 454 that was 10 years old. It had the bravo 2 drive and was a great combination. My boat was a 26ft 26deg deadrise, raymond hunt design with a narrowish beam.

Loved: the economy, the fish raising deep rumble at trolling revs, the awesome reverse stop with the big prop and torque, simplicity of the engine systems, the eutectic fridge and frezeer running off a car compressor, the cheapness of mostly automotive parts, the full width boarding platform, the usefulness of the engine box as a seat and a bed( I made extensions that made it the most comfy bed for the skipper I've ever owned), the sound and torque of the V8.

Disliked: Lack of room in the cockpit, Inability to spin the boat, lack of technical knowledge for the leg,Constant attention to several belts,Inability to lift leg high enough for skinny water, Probably unecessary worry about fire on board, Single motor, Loudness of the V8 at cruise despite numerous attempts to quieten.

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi 84Offshore,

Probably. I did fish that weekend. I might of spoke with you. I was on drift with another I/O GW - was that you? Hope you had a better day than I did.

There are quite a few I/O GW's between Moriches and FI. I fish both inlets based on conditions and reports so I see a bunch.

Good luck the rest of fall bass run.

Oceanbean
93 Explorer 245 VP DP

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Hi Oceanbean,

Yup, that was me!

I didn't have any luck that day either.

I am pulling out this w/e though.......my season is over.......:(

See you out there next year!

shadow379

Reaction score
I/O boat

Thanks for the great feedback. I currently also own a 2005 sea ray I/O and love it for cruising. I just wasn't sure how the Grady following was on a I/O, but can see its quite strong. I will surely keep this one on my short list. I really enjoy my offshore and it would take a great deal for me to part ways with her. Safe boating!

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Hey Shadow, certainly nothing wrong with keeping that great boat that you already have. Your topic certainly generated some good conversation on the I/O subject. That was a great exchange between 84 Offshore and OceanBean. I met another grady owner not too far away from here and we recently made a two boat trip into the Gulf which was a lot of fun. I am sure that the Sailfish will wind up in some lucky persons hands. 8)

mronzo

Reaction score
After a traumatic childhood involving stern drive woes....
I'll stick with outboards!
If you could keep your boat on a lift, I/Os would be much more appealing.
Having the unit underwater all the time for a wet slip boat is not for me.
But you can't argue with the economy of an i/o.