Inverter

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Has anyone ever installed a large (or otherwise smaller) power inverter on their boat. Considering putting an inverter on board to run the A/C unit when I'm offshore . Not an electrical expert by any means and am not even sure if this is doable. It would sure be nice to run the a/c on those smokin' hot days offshore. Also would be nice to run some other stuff too..... coffee maker , microwave, etc. The fridge runs off the dc side so it's not on the plan. I have twin 200 HPDI's and they have 45amp alternators each... Thanks Karl

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
:hmm All I contribute is when I was in the market, there was a boat I liked without a generator and the guy mentioned the inverter. Had it priced out and was roughly the same cost to have a generator installed. Ended up buying a different boat. The guy who did the estimate didn't see any issues for the install on a Marlin. Could work and would be nice to not hear a generator running. Although keeping your cabin 70 in the 110 Florida summer its a sweet deal.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Thanks for the info . I hear ya on listening to the gen. running. My hpdi's are fairly quite and sip fuel at lower RPM's . Also on my Sailfish theres not really a good place to put a gen. I could get a honda EU2000 and put it on the hardtop or on the swim platform but neither really ideal . I want to get into doing overniters offshore and have plenty of fuel cap. for this . For example my last trip was 149 nm or 171 statute miles. I only used 108 gallons. That is combined running and trolling. On the way in we ran for a solid 2.5 hours ar 4000 rpms making 26.5 knots. I still had 112 gals. left when I got to the dock. :hmm

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I installed a 1KW inverter many years ago. We use it to run the odd 120vac tool when needed, to run the microwave when underway, etc.

I also installed a Mermaid Marine Air 6,500-BTU reverse cycle AC unit. I can get it started, and running, on the inverter. But it loads it fully and pulls about 100amps DC power.

Remember that an inverter is far from 100% efficient, so much more power in than power out.

We also have a Honda EU-2000 and it can run the AC, plus other items (except the hot water heater) all day and all night. We use a "Duration Tank" for long runs with no refueling.

I strongly recommend the EU-2000, and I do not recommend using an inverter for the A/C.

Please contact me directly if you would like to chat about this on the phone.

Brian

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Do you know if your HPDI's give you 45 Amps at idle? That inverter draws lot's of amps, it might toast your batteries before you know it.
I'm not sure at what rpm's the alt's put out 45 amps. It's probably close to 4500to 5000 , maybe even 5500 ??? I was thinking of hooking it up to both motors though..... Probably not the way to go ,( the inverter) but just thinking of having some way to have a/c and heat on some up coming adventures.....
The honda EU2000 mounted on the hardtop in a semi permanent mount is probably the best way as OCNSLR has suggested......

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
RAINMAKER said:
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
The honda EU2000 mounted on the hardtop in a semi permanent mount is probably the best way as OCNSLR has suggested......

Euro-transom, or the bow, but too heavy for the hardtop.

Responded to your PM. Will try to make phone contact tomorrow.

Brian

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Everyone that was thinking battery & inverter/ generator went generator. While it can be done with batteries, they're heavy and will not last that long. If you don't have the coin to drop on a Honda generator (the Yami ones have gotten decent reviews but Hondas seem to be the top dog) get a cheapo one from Harbor Freight. They're only a little over $100 and should give you a year and if it gets dumped you're out $100 vs $1200.

The Honda 2K is 50 pounds, the hardtop can't take 50 pounds? You may need to build a bracket for it but GW said no?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Grog said:
The Honda 2K is 50 pounds, the hardtop can't take 50 pounds? You may need to build a bracket for it but GW said no?

Probably poor wording on my part re the hardtop.

EU-2000 is close to 60# with oil and fuel.

Do you really want to climb up there to refuel the generator, particularly when it is hot from running?

We use a 6-gallon Duration Tank, which is fine on the transom, but I don't want to strap another 40# up on the hardtop to feed the Honda.

Our hardtop is a custom made one, and we have had four people sitting up there to watch fireworks, etc.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
just thinking of hardtop as out of the way .. Didn't really consider having to refuel it up there . that's truly something to ponder on.
I'm sure it would hold the weight know problem . We've used it as a diving platform multiple times... :mrgreen: