Irene- To haul or not to haul

seasick

Reaction score
I am torn deciding if I should pull the boat ( Adventure 208) due to the pending storm. Boat is in NYC area and in a bay. The things that scare me are the expected new moon tides and the storm surge. Boat is tied to a floating finger. I am watching the projected winds and it seems that the eye will past to the east of NYC but by how much is the question. I will wait until tomorrow and decide. Basically if I see the other boats being hauled, I will 'get in line'.
The last big nor'easter, my boat was fine but some boats broke off their slips and if you were in the patch of the slip or boat you were in trouble. With my luck, I will pull the boat and a tree will fall on it:)

JeffN

Reaction score
I think I would risk the tree damage instead of leaving it in. The boat won't sink if a tree falls on it. Can you find a "treeless" area to leave the boat for a couple of days? This mornings updated track is moving the storm to my west but that puts it closer to you. I am still going to make preparations to haul out.

seasick

Reaction score
JeffN said:
I think I would risk the tree damage instead of leaving it in. The boat won't sink if a tree falls on it. Can you find a "treeless" area to leave the boat for a couple of days? This mornings updated track is moving the storm to my west but that puts it closer to you. I am still going to make preparations to haul out.
I spoke to a few of the old timers and they all recommended hauling the boat so I am on my way to get ready for a late afternoon haul. I have an area that is without trees but the perimeter trees in out club are tall enough to cross most of the yard. A good friend of mine who does a lot of marine insurance work told me to take pictures of the boat before the storm just in case. Sounds like a plan to me.

Good luck to all in Irene's path!

reelserious

Reaction score
I scheduled my boat to be hauled tomorrow morning. Most insurance companies will cover half the cost up to $1,000. I figured for a few hundred bucks out of pocket I would rather focus on the house (I live across from the beach) and not have to worry about the boat as well.

Good luck to all. Hopefully this storm will be shooting blanks.

ahill

Reaction score
Time to haul.
Saturday 5pm projected coordinate is just off NC coast south of New Bern between Jacksonville & Harkers.
Will probably change but watch it.
I take coordinates from NHC and put in Google Earth then use the measuring tool. Helps put the news hype to rest.

Finatic

Reaction score
I am scheduled to have mined pulled tomorrow at 9am, the biggest question will whether or not I can into Ocean City, MD. They are starting evacuations as of midnight.

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
Just hauled mine today. My marina was hauling boats all day and I would be surprised if any were left in their slips. Here is the bad part. My son locked my keys in the truck at the ramp. We had moved out to the rigging station (thank goodness) and I took the keys from the ignition and put them in the cup holder like usual, and grabbed the transom straps. He came out to help and must of hit the door lock by accident. I could have killed him but kept it to myself. Had to call roadside assistance. Some assistance, they charged me to open the truck! Anyway I hauled the boat back to Pa where I figure I can do a little mid season maintenance before fluke fishing ends and striper fishing begins!

Great idea about photos if you dont have any resent ones!

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I feel for you guys, a tough decision. This is one of those times I am glad I trailer. But if I was in the water again like you guys. I'd haul out.
Good luck and keep the family and boat safe.

Greatty

Reaction score
If you have a trailer, haul. Nothing like a little piece of mind while you listen to the wind howl and watch video after video of waves breaking over docks....