Islander 268 live well/fish box plumbing

ElMar

Reaction score
New to me 1999 Islander. Apparently ordered without pumps and plumbing to the livewell and fish boxes.

How are the plumbed from Grady and how do you guys use them ?
Is it worth putting in a pump or do they not work that well to begin with?

Also, I spent this morning clearing the drains. They were plugged solid with mussels and debris. How do you keep that from happening?

Thanks.

9F7E2A5E-443B-4572-8162-DD0794FDE1C3.jpeg

scott1949

Reaction score
My 1996 Islander has the same layout as your picture. On my GW brochure they are calling the port box a divided 104 qt and 38 qt insulated box, starboard box is a 186 qt fish box. The livewell on my boat is stern on port side and was aerated. I did not like it because it was way to small so I made it into a dry storage box. I put a 35 gallon livewell on the port side on deck with overflow going thru side of boat which works great. Hope this helps.

Reactions: ElMar

ElMar

Reaction score
Thanks. I also have the port stern box but it’s just a drop in “bucket” no pump or plumbing. Very small about 5-10 gallon or so.

Does anyone have the forward ones plumbed? Or is it just the stern?

Also, how do the insulated ones hold ice? Any good or should I count on using a cooler? Thanks.

7AE4C18D-58B9-4CDB-B052-E4C129D04BDF.jpeg

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Our 2002 Islander 270 had the same cockpit layout as you do.

The aft port was a drop-in bin that worked great with a small trash bag in it.

The outboard section of the area behind the post seat is intended as the livewell. The water entry was a 90-degree feeder near the bottom on the inboard side, facing aft. The overboard was high on the outboard side, near the back, and drained to an overboard valve under the pie plate access just aft of the box.

So, are those fittings present, and plumbed, in that section of your box? Is the overboard discharge valve installed? plumbed to the overflow in the tank?

The intake was aft, about two feet forward of the transom, about six inches off the certerline, with a proper through-hull, a proper seacock, and the livewell pump mounted on top of the seacock. Opposite it on the other side of the centerline, was the through-hull and seacock for the raw water washdown. Both seacocks had reach rods, and they were just aft of the battery tray under that aft cockpit seat.

Fish box under the starboard helm seat is huge. It holds ice pretty well. It gravity drains through a valve accessible via the small access port on the starboard side.

Drains likely had debris and marine growth in them because the previous owner never bothered to flush them from inside with a hose, and left the valves open as well. Bad practice.

Hope this helps.

ElMar

Reaction score
No plumbing in place only the drains at the bottom of each well.

ElMar

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of where their SeaCock is installed for the livewell?

Outboard or Inboard of the stringer?

Outboard its a little close to that little pocket in the hull.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The seacocks on our 270 were about six inches either side of the centerline, about two feet forward of the transom, with reach rods to the aft side of the battery shelf under the aft cockpit seat. One for raw water and one for livewell.

Attachments

• Seacock Reach Rods.pdf
    283.9 KB · Views: 18

ElMar

Reaction score
Reach Rod installation to complicated for a through hull.

I am going one of these options.

Probably outboard of the stringer.

BB83BFAE-0812-450C-A196-6CA98E8C70A2.jpegEF5B0A71-0CF6-445B-AE01-5C2B32605B5E.jpeg

BB83BFAE-0812-450C-A196-6CA98E8C70A2.jpeg

ElMar

Reaction score
Finished this job last month, boat is in the water, not leaks. LOL

Now I need to plumb and install the washdown.

Backing block for the SeaCock was made out of Coosa and Epoxy.

IMG_2676.jpgIMG_2677.jpgIMG_2678.jpgIMG_2688.jpg