Islander Pump Out

Kai Lover

Reaction score
My 27 Islander (2005) has the electronic pump out. The indicators show it's 3/4 full. When I close the intake and open the seacock and initiate the pump I hear it running. I have pushed the pump out button for 10 minutes or so, but it still shows 3/4 full. How long does it take to clear out the tank and how big is the tank? :huh

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I would not close the sea water inlet to the head. That may be another path of air being pulled into the holding tank if your vent is partially obstructed (a very common problem). You will not be able to pump the tank out if you can;t draw air in.

I do assume that you are offshore when you are doing this pump-out.

The level indication is questionable at best. Ours quit working so I replaced it. It then worked for a while and died again.

When you are pumping out, you should hear the macerator pump running, with a fairly steady sound. When you hear that sound change, like the pump cavitating, then the tank is pumped out. If you get to this sound and the level is still indicating other than empty, then the level indicator is faulty. If you don't get to this change is pump sound, then you may have a problem with the macerator pump.

On the chance that you have already pumped it dry, I would pump in a good bit of water from the head, then try to pump out again. Turn off other sounds and listen closely. You can pull the pie plate inspection port at the forward end of the bridge deck and you will be able to hear the pump better.

Brian

Kai Lover

Reaction score
Yes offshore. Where are you talking is the forward end of the bridge deck? Under the captain's area? Where did you buy replacement indicator?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Kai Lover said:
Yes offshore. Where are you talking is the forward end of the bridge deck? Under the captain's area? Where did you buy replacement indicator?

On our Islander we have a removable hatch in the area between the port and captain seats in the helm area. I say removable, but it is screwed and caulked in place. This hatch provides access to the fresh water tank and the holding tank. We have two inspection ports in this hatch, one forward and one aft. They are the pop-in/out type, about 8-in in diameter.

The holding tank is made by Groco. So is the indicating system and the control panel mounted in the head. Groco #TLM-10 is the item you need.

Brian