Islander ugrade to twins

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Trying to decide whether to keep the boat or go with a center console but if I keep it I think I will either look to upgrade to a Yamaha 350 or 400 (when released). If I decide to sell, I think it will move quicker with twins I am also considering twin 150 hpdis or 200s. I think 150 4 strokes are more than I would want to spend and would not be recouped in a sale.

Any thought on good setup?

Thanks
Greg

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We purchased our 2002 Islander new in March 2002, with a new 2001 250HP Yamaha OX66. We put 465 hours on that engine by October 2005, and then repowered to twin F150s. We now have 525 hours on the twins.

Happy to provide whatever insights you might like, but I have posted most of the details on here in the past.

Search, read, then please feel free to contact me to set up a phone discussion if you like.

Brian

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Great combination of power for this boat but check with GW before putting an F-350 on. I just purchased a 275 Tournament (with an F-350) which is purported to be the same hull as the Islander. I was told that significant upgrades were made to the transom by GW to support the F-350. I was also told that the 275 was the only boat in their 2008 line up that is rated for a single F-350. It's not the total HP rating of the transom that you're concerned about here it's the torque rating. The F-350 puts out a lot more torque on a single centerline than each of a pair of 250's do.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tashmoo said:
Great combination of power for this boat but check with GW before putting an F-350 on. I just purchased a 275 Tournament (with an F-350) which is purported to be the same hull as the Islander. I was told that significant upgrades were made to the transom by GW to support the F-350. I was also told that the 275 was the only boat in their 2008 line up that is rated for a single F-350. It's not the total HP rating of the transom that you're concerned about here it's the torque rating. The F-350 puts out a lot more torque on a single centerline than each of a pair of 250's do.

Thanks, I spoke to Bert at GW when they were first announced and was told it would be fine. What kind of performance do you get with the combo?

Brian,
We already spoke about the performance with the 4 strokes but I'd be looking at close to $25k to upgrade. I'm looking for (most likely) a used pair of 150 or 200 hpdis. If I can get something inexpensive it would also help the marketability of the boat since most want twins on the boat.

Thanks again
Greg

Tashmoo

Reaction score
During my sea trail earlier this month I found that the performance curve of the test data published on the GW web site under the 275 Tournament was within two MPH of actual up to 4,000 rpm. I did not push any harder then 4,000 RPM as the engine did not have enough hours to do so. My comments on the sea trail results and photos are in general discussion, second page titled "Tournament 275 W/Yamaha F350 sea trial." check it out.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you keep the boat I would switch to twins, way more economical and better power option then one big outboard. You can often find leftover outboards for reasonable prices and the four strokes will last a long time giving you your money's worth. Also, handling will be greatly improved by twins, especially near the dock.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Gradyfish22 great looking boat, the custom paint makes a huge impact on the lines.

I firmly agree that twins will improve resale over one big single and control at the dock with twins has it all over a single. Finding leftovers with 150's or 200's is also much more possible than finding a 350. But you have rigging costs to consider going to twins.

For what it is worth here are my findings regarding cost to performance after a lot of time and effort. One 350 HP engine was a little more than $3,000 less than twin four stroke 150’s. The single 350 was faster and ca. 80 lbs lighter than 2x150's. With the F350 you get all of the new technology that is not available on the 150's or 200's for that fact such as variable rate valve timing and fly by wire controls. The controls are as of yet unproven so they may prove to be a liability but the variable rate valve time is clearly a plus. My research showed me that one 350 had roughly equal or slightly less performance on the 275 hull to that of 2x200 four strokes for five figures less $$$. I did not look at twin 200 2 strokes as I was informed by my dealer that GW is not offering them on new boats any longer, this may be a load of BS, I do not know. Maintenance is clearly less as you are only dealing with one engine and of course drag is less since there is only one drive in the water. Fuel consumption was better with a single no matter how I looked at it against any twin combination.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Very good points. Maintenance may be cheaper, but not as cheap as you think. As engines get bigger and have more moving parts, their parts also increase in price. Yes, your initial maintenance costs will be cheaper, but when things break it may not be so true. From what I have seen from Yamaha reports, the 150's and 350 are giving off very similar fuel consumption readings, not saying for every boat this is true. As for the hull, you are correct, that big engine displacing all that force on one location may be a bit for that boat unless it is beefed up. Not sure if that boat will need it or not, I have never really checked out an islander transom up close before. It also depends one how the boat is going to be used. If the boat is used mostly inshore then either is a good option, if the boat is every going to be taken more then 10 miles offshore, twins are the way to go without question. Going off the coast in a single is pushing it. Watched a guy with a single outboard having engine problems 90 miles offshore...had to be towed in by his tow boat company....sure hope he had the unlimited coverage!!! More then likely, if he had twins he could have limped home. As for the fly by wire controls, I think they are the way to go. Not sure how well they will be at first but they will be very handy. Heard of them being rough on the mercs right now, they take a little getting used to. Shifting takes a little getting used to but I am sure that will be something that has the kinks worked out of it. I have not heard much about it on the Yamaha's, hopefully it is a better product off the bat.

Tashmoo thanks for the comment on the custom hull!!

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Another plus for twin engines is boat handling, especially close quarters handling in less tha ideal conditions. For that reason along with the other reasons mentioned, I'll always take twins over a single.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Capt Bill said:
Another plus for twin engines is boat handling, especially close quarters handling in less tha ideal conditions. For that reason along with the other reasons mentioned, I'll always take twins over a single.

ditto