Islander vrs Sailfish

Winner

Reaction score
Does anyone have first-hand experiance with the ride of the 282 Islander vrs the 270 Sailfish? I know the Islander is 1200 pounds heaver but I am thinking the narrower beam of the Sailfish may make ride just as good in the rough.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You got the names reversed.

It's the Islander 270 and the Sailfish 282.

I am highly familiar with the Islander, but have no experience with the Sailfish, thus no comparison to give you.

Brian

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Islander is a narrow beam version of the venerable Sailfish, making it legally trailerable and single engine option-able. That's why it was created. Both models have been discontinued some time ago.

The two boats when equipped with twins can be confused as to which is which when looking from the stern. The cabins are much different.

jcacchio

Reaction score
I previously had an Islander and was disappointed with the ride offshore. The narrow beam was the problem. I have been on the Sailfish offshore and noticed a big difference. I have a Gulfstream now. Smaller boat but better ride due to the wider beam.

Winner

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and sorry about the confusion on the models. I knew should have double checked the names.
jcacchio
Your comments are especially interesting because I was originally looking at Gulfstreams. I found that Gulfstreams 2 to 5 years old are kind of scarce so started looking at the Islander. The Islander seems to be comparable in price and offers a cabin layout I like better. The wife and I like to anchor out 6 to 7 times a year and this cabin seems much more suited to that.
I was very surprised that you said you like the ride of Gulfstream over the Islander. I would have thought the Islander with longer waterline and narrower beam would cut through the seas easier. Is the Gulfstream more stable while drifting as well as cutting through chop better?
Thanks again.

jcacchio

Reaction score
I think you give and take certain qualities in all boats. The Gulfstream, in my opinion, drifts better and rides better than the Islander. The Islander has a much more extensive cabin. We use the cabin in our Gulfstream as storage. They are tough boats to compare. The Islander and Sailfish are easier to compare. For the right price, if you are looking for a usable cabin, I would take the Sailfish.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Gulfstream is a shorter Sailfish. Cabin suffers the most vs. Sailfish.
The Gulf just like the Islander can work on a single motor option, but same issues in towing legally as Sail.

And a Marlin is a scalled up Sailfish in all dimensions, with a integrated transom from day one. No single motor option on this baby ! (gas use 25% more than Sail)

That's the whole shebang in a nutshell.

Narrower beam Islander should be more fuel efficient given equal weight boats same LOA & hull V.
Ride has to do with deadrise and the V of bow forward, and more importantly, to what each of us defines as "good ride". Don't make the same mistake as others, ride it for YOURSELF in the wind/water conditions to encounter in YOUR USE.