isotherm refrigerator

Plan Sea

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Marlin with a Isotherm refrigerator that has quit cooling. I have recharged it. It cooled for a while, now I think the compressor has gone bad. Before I keep spending money on an old unit, has anyone replaced theirs? I found a Norcold that is the same size, but does not have the angled bottom in the back. It is about 18 " deep, and I think it might hit on the bottom rear.Has anyone replaced theirs?

Plan Sea

Reaction score
Did Grady-White have this made just for the Marlin, with its angled back? What refrigerators are they using in the newer Marlins?

ocdansar

Reaction score
I have a compressor and fan motor out of one that was less than a year old when I punctured the freezer, if you know someone capable of working on yours I would let you have this one just for shipping charge

ocdansar

Reaction score
I'll price both ways if it's not to much I will go ahead and send it I don't think it should cost very much

Plan Sea

Reaction score
ocdansar, Thank you very much. Just let me know how much it is.

ocdansar

Reaction score
not sure if pm went through I sent it us mail to your po box hope it works out for you let me know. shipping was 15. regards mike massey aka oceandansar

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
ocdan, If you still have the freezer it can be fixed. Puncture and all.

ocdansar

Reaction score
no the idiot tech took a torch to it and destroyed it, I should have stopped him when I saw him fire up the torch, lesson learned the expensive way

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
:shock: :( Hopefully he learned how to fix them without the flame. :)

FriZer

Reaction score
This is really helpful for me and for my technician. I have a isotherm refrigerator and it is broken. With some of the help and suggestions that I read in this thread I think my technician can immediately fix my refrigerator.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The angled bottom rear was intended to clear the hull V rise on all boats in general as it doesn't apply to Gradys only, may not have mattered at all to your model.

My old 1.7 cu ft Tundra had same bottom rear "kick".

You can get a new replacement from several different vendors. Typically marine refrigs have dual voltages, but happen to cost an arm and a leg IMHO, there are other options for the budget minded.

As far as fit, just measure the H x W x D after you take it out of there, and that's it, compare old to new product.

CaptainExperience

Reaction score
I don't want to spoil your 'fun' but did you ever think of calling Isotherm (contact info on their website) and asking for help? I had an old Isotherm that stopped working about a year ago. I called them and their policy is to help any Isotherm owner no matter how old the fridge or what the problem. They sent me a simple to follow troubleshooting guide which helped me identify the source of my problem, then they helped me get parts quick and fast online. I did the work myself and saved hundreds of dollars. Anything can be fixed and the Isotherm product is a true marine refrigerator which is worth keeping running. You'd save money and huge problems if you call them first. Or you let a 'technician' destroy your fridge with a blowtorch. Pitty. :bang

dgfarb

Reaction score
I have the same boat and same year, and mine went out 3 years ago. Defender Marine had the exact replacement in stock for $100 less than anyone else.

dgfarb

Reaction score
Defender Marine Stocks the same fridge and are much cheaper than others

ahill

Reaction score
Marine Connection in Ft. Pierce FL has several in stock that will fit the opening. I don't know about the angled back.
My Sailfish has a Norcold.