Kicker motor 282 sailfish

top shelf

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 2004 282 sailfish, I am trying to have a 9.9 yamaha installed.
I also have a ray marine auto pilot and,would like to steer my kicker with it too. Any pics or bracket sugestions.

Thanks Larry

bc282

Reaction score
first, why do you want to add a kicker? if for trolling, you'll likely need a min. of a 15HP with a bigger prop to push the boat. i doubt the yami T9.9 would work well (it would be working at near full throttle, not in it's better fuel economy band and even a small 4s engine at high rpm will be noisier than the F225 running 6-800 rpm). When i troll 2-4 mph with one F225, i'm usually 6-800 rpm (900 rpm max) and at that low rpm, the yami fuel mgmt gauge doesn't usually even register the low fuel flow).

are you planning to mount the kicker on the port side area with some kind of mount and bracket?

If the kicker is mounted offset in height and distance from transom than that of the main motors, it'll be very difficult to tie the kicker in to the steering with the main motors. Also with both main engines still down and not working in conjuction with the kicker to steer, the steering ability of the kicker will be greatly reduced especially if wind and currents are involved.

i had a campion 622 with O/B and a T9.9 kicker on a tilt bracket and tried to tie the kicker and main together to steer together, but the only decent (but ugly) solution was the EZ-steer which the tie bar would need to be constantly removed when kicker was up and not in use. Needless to say, i avoided the ez-steer and operated the kicker as a tiller.

i'm assuming a 2004 boat has F225's. I would avoid kicker all together.
aesthetically and functionally i don't see it working well.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Kicker

Hello,
I had a Yamaha 9.9 HO on a 24 Offshore years back. That motor just pushed the 24 Offshore. I doubt it would be enough to push the 272. I have a Marlin now with 4 strokes and one motor troll is perfect. No fuel burn and a very slow troll at 600 - 700 rpm.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you had 2 strokes (at idle the 4 stroke has MUCH better fuel economy)or a 9.9 laying around maybe try it but that's a lot of work for not much benefit.

uncljohn

Reaction score
I have a 228 and got rid of the kicker b/c it only worked in flat calm seas. Any wind or waves and you could barely steer.

bhemi

Reaction score
kicker

I have a 1992 Marlin with Mercury 2 Strokes. I salmon fish and it won't troll slow enough on one engine so I added a 9.9 Mercury Saildrive as a kicker. It will move my boat at about 5 knots max. We once lost both engines and had to motor in on the kicker so I know. I use an "EZ" steer tie bar. It sucks but the remote steering seemed a bit much in price for how much I use it.

The Saildrive is pretty much the same as the Bigfoot and it has been upgraded to the Prokicker now. Yamaha makes the 8hp and 9.9 Hi-Thrust models which are good too. If I had to do it again I would go with a remote steer/power tilt kicker either Merc or Yamaha.

Most guys with the new four stroke boats just troll on one engine. the only downside is running up the hour meter on a much more expensive engine. It certainly doesn't hurt them.

bc282

Reaction score
do u have any pics of the kicker installed on your marlin?
do you have to take the tie-bar off if the kicker is not in use and tilted up?

does the weigh of the kicker in the corner cause the boat to list at rest and require a touch of trim while underway to compensate for the list?

bhemi

Reaction score
kicker

It doesn't list at all. I was worried about the weight because I re-installed a generator too. I have a Kohler 5E. It doesn't list at all. I generally just leave the tie bar on. It has enough scope to let me tilt the kicker up with the bar attached. Steering response is ok but not great. I have Scotty downriggers mounted pretty far aft and I ran over my downrigger line once with too sharp a turn.

My scuppers were just in the water at rest before and when I added all the weight the boat might be down a further 1/2 inch. They have a lot of bouyancy. I'll be at the boat this weekend and will try and remember to take a pic.