Kicker motor mount....Which brand/type....dazed and confused

countryroad

Reaction score
Hello All,

OK, I have a 204C Overnighter that I am going to put my yamaha T9.9 20" shaft, tiller, non power tilt on. This motor will be running/trolling every trip. I have also purchased a Trollmaster digital throttle control. Now comes the hard part. Since there is no room for a transom mount. What bracket should I use to mount the 107lb 4 stroke too? I will be trailering about 25 miles one way and I do not want to take my motor off the mount. I see that some are convinced fixed mount, yet some say a HD adjustable for the convenience and avoidance of waves submerging the kicker is the way to go. I don't want to make any mistakes, your ideas and experience is greatly welcomed! Also, is the EZ Steer the ticket for this too??? Thanks!!

cedarholm

Reaction score
Kicker mount

countryroad,
Check out this guy. I put one of these on my Escape 209 for a Yamaha T8
with power tilt and trim. Works perfect.

Company is:
Bite-Me-Too Enterprises, Inc. (Seriously)
Victoria, British Columbia.
Phone: 250 382-7007

Cedarholm
google: bite me too (For website)
I use EZ steer and Raymarine autopilot.

Amigo

Reaction score
There are two types of kicker motor mounts. The one you refer to is a non adjustable type. You must tilt the motor up in order to get the prop out of the water when your running with the big engine. This requires a set back from the transom - which means a bit of a reach to get to the kicker.

The second type is a lift type. The motor can be left in the verticle position when on plane. Some adjustable lifts have 12 to 14 inches of verticle travel. This would not require the motor to be tilted for planing. Some are hydraulic powered and some are manual.

If you trailer your boat you would likely prefer the lift type. With the set back type you may have to trailer with the kicker motor in the tilted position.

Check out www.garelick.com for verticle adjustable lifts.

cedarholm

Reaction score
Copy that JUST-IN-TIME!

I got the T8 kicker with power tilt on the solid aluminum mount.
When I'm running on plane, I never worry if my kicker's still there.
Bite-me-too even customizes the mount to the exact angle of your boat's transom.
Cedarholm
Plus, the power tilt button is on the tiller handle on the T8.

countryroad

Reaction score
Re: Which mount???

OK, the solid mount would be great if you have power tilt....but I don't have it on my T9.9. I don't want to replace my motor. Is the solid mount still do-able if I have to reach way out and muscle tilt the motor up to the full tilt position everytime I want to move? Do I need to be concerned about waves that might go over the kicker while trolling? Or, should I get the adjustable Heavy Duty Garelick? I am very concerned about the durability of the HD 4 stroke Garelick. I am also concerned about part replacement for the old OMC's. I do alot of fishing, but right now it seems like due to my non-power tilt, it might be the better choice.....I Dunno.....Thanks again, in advance, for all of your suggestions and insight.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
i had the HD gaerlick one, sux, broke in 2 years, but i trailer

you do not have to reach that far over, i do it all the time in our seas in the SF bay area

Charlies Charters

Reaction score
I know for a fact the garelick 4-stroke bracket is on tough son of a gun. As well as I know plenty of people that own that same unit with no issues plus it is adjustable for the transom. Cannot quite figure out how any one could break one after 2-years. Sounds like something was not done correctly for traveling.

Charlies Charters

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Charlies Charters said:
I know for a fact the garelick 4-stroke bracket is on tough son of a gun. As well as I know plenty of people that own that same unit with no issues plus it is adjustable for the transom. Cannot quite figure out how any one could break one after 2-years. Sounds like something was not done correctly for traveling.

Charlies Charters

we trailer a lot
wore out from trailer
and i trailer with motor down also