DSCF2238.jpg

DSCF2242.jpg

DSCF2275.jpg

DSCF2276.jpg

...and this is one of my favorite pictures of my GW:

DSCF2271.jpg

greyg8r

Reaction score
I see your wife(?) is dressed in a Brazil flag. Is she Brazilian? I took my family to Brazil in 2000 (Rio, Manaus, Iguazu Falls).

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jake the boat dog saw the beagle in the pic and wants to know when we are going to meet you guys :lol:

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I believe I saw you guys a couple of times last Sunday (8/27). I have a 20' Overnighter and passed you a couple of times. Next time I'll stop by and say hello! My dock is just around the corner from where you were fishing.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yep, that was me. White bimini and white hair!!! Looks like you had better luck fishing than I did. The two small humps in the area you were fishing have always been productive. I hwill try that area next weekend. What were you using?

DukesFin

Reaction score
Website
www.lagroueconstruction.com
Here it goes:

27# leadcore, 9 colors out, doing 3 - 3.5mph. Leader: 20# mono about 8-10' long to a 1 1/2oz. white bucktail jig (with a little foil in it) and a 6" chartreus grub/curlytail trailer.

If something isn't happening, I'll reel one of my 2 lines in by ONE color and see if that changes, but 9 colors out is working for now. I won't even try to downline yet. All the reports that I've been reading talk about "patience" and persistence when downlining for now, so I'll wait until the water cools off a bit more.

This weekend, I'm going to try using live herring for a trailer and see how that works. I catch them every weekend, but not in the #'s I'd like....

Here is a sad story... The last fish my wife got on Sunday, she got it to the boat and it had another one following it... RIGHT TO THE BOAT!!! here's the kicker: It was at least twice the size of the one she caught!!! It was huge!

I want one of those monsters to find it's way over my gunnel!

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have never tried the lead core line. That seems to be the thing. I tried trolling a live herring 40' down on a downrigger and had one hit but no hook up.

I'll have to look around for lead core line this week. Guess I'll have to go to Outdoor World again. Darn it!

DukesFin

Reaction score
Website
Hammond's sells it. They sell Bass ProShops brand too. $$ well spent. Takes a little getting used to, but (from what I understand), it's easier than using downriggers (less to deal with).

I'm always happy to share what is working for me. I'm not one of those fishermen who hide what they are doing (when/where/how), so if you ever need any tips, feel free to ask.

I enjoy helping others catch fish ALMOST as much as I like catching them myself! Boating (fishing or just cruising), I think is a community affair. The more the merrier, I say!

Also, if you go by Hammonds, pick you up some Chipmunk's white bucktail jigs... either 1 oz or 1 1/2 oz. They say 1 oz. is working 9 colors out doing 3mph, but I've gotten the 1 1/2 oz. ones as sometimes it's hard for me to idle at 3mph unless I've got a little headwind. 3.5 seems to be the speed for me, so the heavier jig helps get it to depth, I think.

I've been marking fish around 35' deep on average. Running the jigs just above the fish is producing for me. I'm still learning the leadline/depth/speed think now. I've only been doing this for 4 weeks now, but I must say, I'm not doing THAT bad! :lol: 8)

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
DukesFin said:
Joy, (the boat beagle) says she'd love to meet Jake, but hurry... "THE OPERATION" is coming soon!

:lol:

We'll see you out there this weekend, I'm sure.

Don't worry...Jake's already been down that road :D

I'm off Friday and will likely be up there then...I'm out of town Saturday and have company in town Sun and Mon. so not likely to make it this weekend.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Duke,

Thanks for all the tips. I was in Hammonds on Sunday to buy bait. Maybe I'll look for the leadcore this weekend. The downrigger actually is pretty easy to use and to keep at the right depth. As I usually do, I'll buy enough gear for both.

We have a pretty good thread on Lake Lanier going on The Hull Truth. Please join in there also! Several guys are regulars on both forums.

I have a football game to attend Friday night and unless Hurricane Ernesto requires I head to Florida I should be up for the weekend.

DukesFin

Reaction score
Website
Too funny. I started a thread on my "home" forum of FS Sportsman Online (Northwest Forum) about how many internet forums we all use!

I guess I'll be adding another one to my list of 6!

DukesFin

Reaction score
Website
Got one. 2 8' antennas on board... One VHF and one AM/FM. I need the 8' for the gulf. I've found though that the "line of sight" really makes itself evident on the lake when using the VHF on Lake Lanier!

I'll be monitoring 16.