Leak in corner of windshield

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
First - what kind of boat? Second - how big a leak? Is it really worth the trouble of fixing it? Third where is it leaking to?

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
First - what kind of boat? Second - how big a leak? Is it really worth the trouble of fixing it? Third where is it leaking to?
96 272 sailfish. It’s leaking in the corner of windshield on right side drips all the way down to steering wheel

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The rubber in the windshield shrinks. You can try a little black silicone in the gaps. A leak like that may not be worth the trouble to fix.

seasick

Reaction score
Same thing on my 208, shrinking weather-stripping. The black silicone applied on the outside will usually fix the problem depending on how big a gap there is.
If you have shrinkage in one corner, you probably have it in other corners or joints.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
96 272 sailfish. It’s leaking in the corner of windshield on right side drips all the way down to steering wheel
By "all the way down"... do you just mean that the water is traveling downhill? Or is there something else you mean?

Is this the upper, middle or top corner? Is it coming through the corner where the two pieces meet (top, middle/bottom) or is it coming in under the frame?

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
when water hits the corner of the windshield on the right side rain etc. I find water on the floor by the home on the steering wheel while travels down

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hmm, a 25 year old boat has a little water leaking in or around the gaskets. It is a boat. I've gone around my 17 year old boat with black silicone where the window gaskets have shrunk and filled them in. I still get water at the helm and along passenger side. My issue is probably the windshield frame gaskets where it meets the fiberglass. Again, it's a boat and I deal with it. If it was leaking into the cabin, that would be a different story.

Reactions: PointedRose

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Any recommendations on a small tube black silicone??? I’ve been using a clear but will cut out and load up the black as the clear I used very lightly.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Any recommendations on a small tube black silicone??? I’ve been using a clear but will cut out and load up the black as the clear I used very lightly.
I've got the black in the GE silicone II for a caulk gun, I think they have it in like a small tube like toothpaste at my local Lowe's

Reactions: Blaugrana

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Use painters tape around where you’re using the goo for an easy cleanup when it dries with a utility knife. You can use a popsicle stick’s round edge to create a fillet at the seam to help water runoff.