Lee Gunnel Mount Outriggers

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm looking for some pros and cons of using these outriggers with a Seafarer with a hardtop. I spoke with GW customer service and this type outrigger was all they would recommend for this particular model. I don't want to make a lot of modifications to the t-top and seems that would be necessary if I went that route.

ahill

Reaction score
Difficult to use in all but calm seas. Make sure you put an oversize backing plate under the top or serious cracking will occur.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Strike: I addded them to my 208 which I had for ten years and now on my 258 which I have had for 5 years. Dealer installed for me and used some large washers as backing. No spider cracking at all. I do recommend you add a properly cut shim to counter the outbaord slant of the gunnel.

Only obvious problem is working a fish around them, but I don't even think about that anymore.

I woud suggest adding a swivel to the outrigger line to better allow you to adjust tension on the line. Pass line thru one end of swivel, then thru release clip, then tie off to other end of swivel. Put poles straight up as you make the final tie and set it just snug enough to run on plane without either undue tension or too much bouncing around.

Then when you lay your outrigger pole out for fishing, you'll find that there is too much slack. That is when you slide the line thru the swivel to take up that slack. It also allows you to adjust the line tension for the baits and sea conditions of the day.

If you find that your line tends to slip back through the swivel on a bumpy day, you can either break a tootpick off in there to hold it in place, or you can crush the eye of the swivel just enough so that line doesn't slip thru easily.

Last point. I use the extremely cheapo Tigress fiberglass outrigger poles. My boat stays in the water and I don't want to mess with storing the poles after every trip. The Tigress are so bad that in 15 years of exposure no one has ever stolen one!

Reality is the Tigress fiberglass poles are bad when it gets rough and they bounce around more than a quality pole would. I just tighten up the tension even more and they do okay. They only last several years, but they're cheap enough to replace at that frequency.

Shutterbug

Reaction score
Used smaller of the lee's gunnel mounts for years with no problems. As stated proper backing plates and leveling pads. Making your own pads is simple and much cheaper. I had the smaller diameter so only problem was increased bend in the pole while trolling. The larger/stiffer should eliminate much of the bending. If you go with the larger make sure the base will fit your gunnel width.

Shutterbug

Reaction score
Think the smaller of the gunnel mts only will take 15' poles, which is what I had. The next size a minimum of 16' poles. If you haven't already check the Lees Tackle website.

Barlow46

Reaction score
Don't want to highjack your thread but I have a set of Lee gunnel mounts with the 15' poles in very good to excellent shape. I bought them new and originally mounted them on my 208. Sold the 208 but new owner wanted non of my offshore equipment so I removed them. Been in the garage since. Got them out a couple of weeks ago to take some pics in case I decided to sell them. I was thinking about installing them on my 18' sportsman but I don't get offshore enough anymore to justify them. They are the smaller Lee skiff models, chrome over bronze I believe but I will check. If you are interested, I will see if I can come up with a price. Also have a one time use Scotty Electric downrigger with telescoping boom and removeable rod holder mount that I may as well get rid of also. Actually, I could outfit a mostly complete offshore setup including gaff, rod mount bait cutting table, 4 or 5 senator reels, 1 international 20 set up, a tacklebox full of islanders, etc. Maybe I could set up a complete package if anyone is interested.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Barlow,
Thanks but I did find them at BW for an unbelievable price of only $72. Figured I saved between $400-$500 on this purchase. Can't wait to get them mounted and rigged.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm hoping to install the flange bases this weekend. I have a question
regarding shims. The locatioin on the gunnel will be in the flair which will change the angle of the base if I don't shim.

My question is: should I shim it to be perfectly level (as if it were on the most horizontal part of the gunnel)?

Thanks

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On my last boat the Lee gunwale mounted bases were perfectly level as viewed from the transom. This assures the outriggers are vertical (plumb) when upright. Grady used some sort of brown hard plastic as a shim to make them level. I do not recall if they were level fore to aft, but I know they were close (as veiwed from the side of the boat).

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Tunaman. I'll give GW a call on Monday to see what they used as
a shim. I don't know why I couldn't use a piece of 1/2" Starboard cut at
the proper angle to level it up.

Gross Profit

Reaction score
hey Strikezone, I installed the exact same set up on my 222 Fisherman. I'm local to you so if you want to see them set up or need help let me know. I didn't shim at all and they work great. With a good shock cord you can set them up where they are tight when upright and running and perfect when deployed. Let me know if you want to check them out.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What's the best way to get in touch with you? I'd like to take a look at your install. Thanks for the offer.