Lee Jr Outriggers on SAILFISH

GradyGEO

Reaction score
I have been struggling with an annoying issue with my Lee Jr Outriggers onboard my 272 Sailfish. They were installed by the previous owner (which may be the problem) and they bind terribly when I lower them for fishing. I am very familiar with this type of base and never had this problem. What I believe to be the issue is that one (upper) of the wishbone mounting flanges is mounted above the knuckle of the cabin, and the other (lower) is mounted below the knuckle. This ceates a situation where the two are not on the same plane which I believe is causing the binding. I believe the fix would be to place a standoff block of the same offset of the knuckle (about 5/8") on the upper flanges to bring them back on plane. I called Lees Tackle and sent pictures and the "tech" guy could understand my problem. So...If there are any members out there that have these installed (correctly) I would appreciate some feedback or even pictures if possible. Thanks.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Probably.

When the factory installed mine, they used starboard blocks to level the plane.

The guy who installed them may have done it for the show, very common use for outriggers, for the show.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Besides improper assembly.

Are you loosening the handle enough ?

GradyGEO

Reaction score
Yes...as far as it would go, and I have used these for years on another boat without issue. I'm glad to hear that yours has the starboard block, because it just seems logical that it would be needed. Should be interesting to see if any other members have my kind of installation without issue.

Thanks Bob for the quick reply.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My boat has small spacers too, but I have less curve in my express's cabin, I know the sailfish I have been on had bigger blocks, they are absolutely necessary and will 100% eliviate the problem. Grady should be able to either order them, or atleast give you dimensions for them as it isn;t too hard to have someone cut them to size for you.