Little help here please

Johnny1eye

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Just bought my first I/O, gm305, needing a little work. Need to start it.
My ?? is how to supply water to the motor while it's on the trailer?
Sure would appreciate some knowledge. Thanks.

Fishtales

Reaction score
google via the net. your going to need some muffs and a decent pressure hose to start.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If an I/O is set up like an inboard you probably have a sea strainer with a seacock. You can close the seacock and open the strainer lid, maybe remove the basket, and put a hose into the strainer until it overflows and goes out the bilge (garboard plug out) That should provide plenty of cooling water to the engine. Make sure that the strainer doesn't go dry, you may have to turn up the hose volume, or if overflowing a lot, turn it down some. If no seacock, or strainer you can take off the intake cooling water hose and splice in a garden hose. To be safe, you should have a seacock and strainer though.

Last edited:

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
can you lower the outdrive into a large tote or trough of water? if you dont have muffs this might be an option for you.

Johnny1eye

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks fellas, having switched from sail to power has left me somewhat dumbfounded, hope to see ya'll on the water someday.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Did you run it yet? If you did, did you...

-- Run the blower for at least 4 minutes and/or open the hatch and smell for fuel?
-- Trim the drive down into the safe range to avoid damaging the driveshaft?
-- Verify there is a good flow of water exiting the drive?

You probably have an Alpha drive - when was the last time the impeller was changed?

Fishtales

Reaction score
be careful with the prop...

Johnny1eye

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Well, I think it will be few days til I'm ready to tackle this, just trying to get my ducks in a row. Appreciate your input and tips on being safe. I've learned to read and be acutely aware of my surroundings, only took me 70 plus years, lol. I'm looking forward to getting this boat pristine but not in a rush.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Most likely the water pump is in the out drive, with that size motor, and on a trailer, but check for a through hull fitting that connects to the cooling system.
Didn't really look at these videos, just a sample of what's available. IMO, best is submerged in a tub, with the water over the horizontal plates(anti-ventilation plates) above the prop.