Livewell Leaking?

Alibi II

Reaction score
I would like to be able to use my livewell on my 282 sailfish for dry storage when I don't need it as a livewell. I have tried shutting the through hull in the stern and then putting a large rubber stopper in the drain in the livewell to prevent water intrusion that way. We put several boxes of adult beverages as well as some other stores in the livewell on our recent trip. I was traveling at about 30 mph when our dog started barking at water overflowing our livewell hatch and onto the deck. Opening the hatch the livewell was completely filled and of course with the cork unable to drain. Luckily the beverages were in plastic bladders but some of the dry goods were in pretty sad shape. Have any of you had this same problem? What have you been able to do to correct it?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Are you sure you closed the correct thru hull valve?
I think one may be for your raw water wash down and the other for the live well pump.
With the correct valve closed I dont think it will fill with water.
Tim

Alibi II

Reaction score
livewell leaking

I will double check but I'm pretty sure that I did. It is the valve on the port side and in line is open and 90 degrees is closed? Could the pickup overpower the valve at higher speeds?

reelserious

Reaction score
I can't be sure, but on my 272 I think the starboard side pump is the livewell. Having said that, there are really only two viable possibilities for what you describe. Either you closed the wrong valve or the valve is defective (if that is possible).

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, I also think you may have closed the wrong valve.

But I will throw a slightly different perspective on this.

When I taught offshore sailing, we made sure that everyone onboard understood that ALL skin valves remain shut UNLESS ACTUALLY IN USE.

I have followed this policy for years, on our boat and when I have been instructing new owners on their boats.

It's a simple policy that easily eliminates a significant flooding risk, while providing regular "exercising" of the valves to keep them free.

JMHO.
Brian

reelserious

Reaction score
ocnslr said:
Well, I also think you may have closed the wrong valve.

But I will throw a slightly different perspective on this.

When I taught offshore sailing, we made sure that everyone onboard understood that ALL skin valves remain shut UNLESS ACTUALLY IN USE.

I have followed this policy for years, on our boat and when I have been instructing new owners on their boats.

It's a simple policy that easily eliminates a significant flooding risk, while providing regular "exercising" of the valves to keep them free.

JMHO.
Brian

I follow the same procedure religiously. They are only open when is use and closed before leaving the boat .

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Alibi II said:
I would like to be able to use my livewell on my 282 sailfish for dry storage when I don't need it as a livewell. I have tried shutting the through hull in the stern and then putting a large rubber stopper in the drain in the livewell to prevent water intrusion that way. We put several boxes of adult beverages as well as some other stores in the livewell on our recent trip. I was traveling at about 30 mph when our dog started barking at water overflowing our livewell hatch and onto the deck. Opening the hatch the livewell was completely filled and of course with the cork unable to drain. Luckily the beverages were in plastic bladders but some of the dry goods were in pretty sad shape. Have any of you had this same problem? What have you been able to do to correct it?

I've never noticed mine ever taking on a drop of water. But then my plug is never installed. I never shut the seacock but will start shutting them now. The only seacock I always shut was the discharge from the toilet tank. If you get caught with that open you will be fined. I will now make sure all seacocks are shut unless needed. Not a hard thing to do at all.

My live well seacock is on the port side on my 282. Mine is a 2004 though. I know for sure, I just winterized them. By the way, I have a question about the seacocks. I called Grady White on this and they didn't have an answer. On the seacocks for the livewell and washdown, There's an 1/8" pipe plug in the side of the valve. Well, Mine are installed with the plug below the valve. That makes no sense at all. If the plug fails I can't shut it off. If the valves were installed the other way around with the plug above the ball valve with the seacock or ball valve shut I could remove the 1/8" plug and not take on water. Grady White said that's the way the valves come. Non sense, Turn the handle around and it would still work. That would make more sense to me unless those ports are for something else? Another benefit to having the ports above would be to winterize the systems. All you would need to do is pull the 1/8" plug and temporarily install a barbed fitting with a short piece of hose and stick it into a bottle of RV antifreeze and run each system until red fluid comes out. But no that would be too easy. Anyone else noticed this? I'm thinking my valves are installed upside down?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
All sea cocks on my boat are closed unless specifally being used that day - then closed at the end of the day-
Tim

mronzo

Reaction score
Bob if you get boarded it's not enough to have the seacock closed, it's got to
have some sort of lock on it ( like a plastic zip strap) when inshore in NY

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
mronzo said:
Bob if you get boarded it's not enough to have the seacock closed, it's got to
have some sort of lock on it ( like a plastic zip strap) when inshore in NY

We're discussing the sea water supply to the livewell, not the macerator overboard valve... :D