Livewell Pump

jaamm1

Reaction score
My livewell is draining back through my pump. I have to continue to refill.
Is this a design flaw or has my pump failed? Any help would be great.
Thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's interesting..

Since the inlet pickup is on the bottom of the boat, and any livewell can always siphon back since it's higher, especially, must be the pump that stops it normally, I would think(?) There is no seperate checkvalve used

I'll be reading this thread.

jaamm1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if the pump had a check system within itself. Most of the livewells I've had in the past were a spraybar type and it was always above the water level in the well. Thanks again

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anytime -

Why not wait until someone else replies that had the same experience before you buy a new pump. I have only taken apart a macerator pump, have yet to do a SW pump although it may be same design.

Since the pump works fine otherwise, are you sure the water is draining out of the hull pickup? Are the hose fittings at the pump secure ?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a Rule 700 and now a SurFlo 800. Neither one has a check valve. You would have to close the seacock if you didn't want the well to drain back out when you turn off the pump. At cruising speed the water pressure alone thru the valve will fill my well about half way; it's a 32gal Kodiak on the cockpit deck.

BTW, the Rule lasted less than a year. The impeller is attached to the motor and there's a seal to keep water out. The seal ages and leaks and the pump fails - JUNK! However, they are quiet.

I went looking for a superior pump, and found the SurFlo. They use a magetic drive coupler for the impeller so the motor can't get water into it. Sure works great, but it's a LOT noisier. I even called my distributor to ask about a possible warranty claim and he said no, they are kind of noisy but will outlast "other brands" by many times. He sells both. It was about $70.

Here's a past thread where we talked about livewells:
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtop ... &highlight

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I don't even run my pump when running, there's always a flow to the well.

I had a Rule pump for 4 years, and am on the 3rd with a Pro Baitmaster (different boat). And I always rinse the pump and plumbing after doing the engine.

Jhopman

Reaction score
I've been having questions about my live well with regard to it filling when I don't have the pump on (I have a Chase 273). It is a prolem in two ways; first, it causes the boat to list which is easily fixed with the tabs but still an annoyance. Second, it causes the live well to overflow into the fish box on the transome which melts all my ice or soaks anything I have stored in there. This is the larger more annoying problem. The only way to avoid the issue it to close the sea-cock below the deck. The only way to close the sea-cock is to stretch and contort my body in a rediculous position that my body is not normally willing to do!! I can deal with this when I'm not fishing but when I'm fishing and plan to use the live well I still have an issue with my ice getting melted because of the overflow.

Who else has this issue? is it common? what can I do to fix it?

Let me add that this happened to me some time ago, seemed to go away and now the problem is back and happend the last several trips out???