Local Grady White Dealer will not work on my Outboard

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My Grady-White dealer and my Yamaha dealer are a mile apart in South Carolina. Never have used my Grady-White dealer to work on my Yamaha. Was established with Yamaha dealer before I had a Grady-White, saw no need to move my Yamaha work.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Maybe it's a New England thing.
Nope, there is a guy on here who has a Marlin that he towed to California from Florida. He wanted to buy parts from my local dealer and they asked "did you buy the boat from us?" and wouldn't sell him parts because he hadn't.

Gradys are super nice boats but the dealers sometimes get kinda not so nice. Grady itself is awesome, their dealers can be less awesome. I had a bumpy start with my dealer and then things got better. So who knows, but it is not a given that owning a Grady means great dealer support. Your mileage may vary :)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah, it's not all that uncommon, actually... "John" brings in his 20-year old motor for service work. While the mechanic is working on it, trying to get seized up bolts or such off, something breaks. Now, John wants the shop to replace that broken part for no charge. You can see how this can get tricky for a business. Granted, if business was extremely slow, which it is not, they may become more lax on their policy. But right now, they have to do what's best for the business - and taking care of existing customers has to come first, along with those that boat the boat from them.

Remove your injectors and send them/take them to an injection shop. 'Bout $20/per.

Also... you might have more luck if you go in and buy some things from them, first. An anonymous email doesn't mean much. Buying things in person shows them you want to become their customer. In the three years since you've had your Grady, you've never once set foot in the service or parts department to buy some supplies?

By the way... what's wrong with a Sea Ray? They make an awful nice boat. Besides, did they even offer OB-powered boats in the mid-80's?

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not exactly the same thing, but same idea I suppose. Last year I searched for months to find a half decent, fairly priced boat. Ended up with a 2013 Seafarer with 340 hours so it was not too well used. Anyway, along the search, I spoke with a used dealer looking for info on a boat he had listed near me. His attitude was, its in the yard, go look at it and if you want to buy it call me. After calling him back when we could not find the boat, he was rude saying something like it right in the yard (with other 100 odd boats). He whined how busy he was and admitted if things were slow he'd have more time to help me. He did manage to make sure I give them lots of bad comments and never do business with them,

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's just plain unacceptable. It's OK to be busy and not have as much time as you'd like to spend with each customer. But there's no reason you can't be pleasant about it or take a few minutes to walk a guy out to the boat. Talk with him for a few minutes, then excuse yourself to check on other customers, then circle back. I bet if he would have done that - you would have completely understood if he wasn't able to stay with you the entire time. He's probably the same guy that whines when business is slow, too.....

Anybody remember these guys?

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree, and being in the business of selling boats or anything else I guess, you never know who is going to walk in with a pocket full of cash. Interestingly, when I mentioned the guys name to other neighbors who were familiar with him, I got responses like, gee, sounds like he has gotten better. Makes you wonder why such people are employed in selling and dealing with customers.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Nope, there is a guy on here who has a Marlin that he towed to California from Florida. He wanted to buy parts from my local dealer and they asked "did you buy the boat from us?" and wouldn't sell him parts because he hadn't.

Gradys are super nice boats but the dealers sometimes get kinda not so nice. Grady itself is awesome, their dealers can be less awesome. I had a bumpy start with my dealer and then things got better. So who knows, but it is not a given that owning a Grady means great dealer support. Your mileage may vary :)
And this is why Elon has removed dealerships from the Tesla model. Smart move.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am curious on injectors...sending out to service vs replacing with new one's from ebay? Here is a set for example for my HPDI 200's. A full set of 6 for $81 bucks? Has anyone tried these and what are your thoughts on using these over servicing the originals?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have not used these on an outboard, but did try them on an old truck. Pulling the injectors was a major PIA due to accessibility. I installed the reconditioned injectors and had a bad cylinder misfire. Needless to say I wasn't happy with ordering another set and reinstalling. Set #2 had no issues. Do you feel lucky?

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I'll second fuelinjectorman.com. I have used him several times for various boats. They are under new ownership now, but the old owner made a point to call me and express his confidence with the new owner for future work last time I used him this past spring. The injectors on an OX66 are real easy, I would say that the VST is more of a pain than the injectors as far as difficulty level.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I read some of those posts on the negativity and they were mostly about stuff such as switches and fuses. Not much about injectors, but your right, like anything aftermarket or from ebay, luck is needed. Just wondering if anyone has tried them on their outboards. I think it would be worth testing on the bench before installing them for sure.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have sets of rebuilt Bosch injectors from eBay on both of mine - $5/cylinder - and have at least 70 hours on them now without trouble. Cleaning the VST is different - I get to do that more frequently. 8^/

I have heard some guys say that they had a bad experience with them, but I have not. They are cheap enough to be disposable now in my book.

I also have $80 fuel pumps on both my motors (HP and lift), as I could not afford $1800 to replace with the name brand - also no problems. YMMV...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
For me, I wouldn't take a chance when there are known-good avenues for a quality refurbishing. While I've never used him, I've heard plenty of good things about Fuel Injector man on a number of forums. When I bought this Grady, one of the first things I did was have the injectors refub'd. There's a great fuel injection shop in my town so I just used them. If you're somewhat near a decent sized city, you most likely have a local place that can do this. At only $20 per injecto at the local shopr, it's not worth my time to "take a chance" on some ebay special only to end up with a mediocre job.