Locating a Battery in Center Console

ORCA

Reaction score
Is there any danger or in locating a 12V Battery on the floor of the center console area of a 175 Sprint? :?:

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would think that first concern is the wet items that may get thrown on top of it. But a good battery box could cure that. Next is the bouncing. There will be more bounce or slams midships. An AGM battery could probably handle that. Would need some good quality and heavy battery cables so as not to lose voltage over the longer run of cables.

Last is weight distribution. But you probably already have a feel for that. And, perhaps you're trying to get weight forward? Disregard if that is not the case, but if so, some trim tabs may be a more effective option.

Rob

ORCA

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. My main concern was the location of this battery to the fuel tank and fuel sending unit access panel. The fuel tank is directly under the floor of the center console and although there is a seperation between the floor area of the console and the electrical fuse panel above, it is not an air tight seperation. I have installed the battery in a plastic battery case, strapped it to the floor, used 6 guage cable, and a 50 amp circuit breaker (in the fuse panel compartment). Do you see any problem or potential danger with this set-up. Thanks for your help.
:?:
ORCA

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Orca: I'm afraid that I don't have a good answer. To tell you the truth, I never really thought that hard about that!

I suppose relocating the battery takes care of that risk. I suspect there are fuel vapor sensors you could install?

By the way, our first Grady was a 1992 Spirit 175. We loved that boat. Even took it over to Bimini a couple of times. Hope you are enjoying your as well.

Rob

ORCA

Reaction score
Hi Fish On,

Thanks for your reply.
I have just recently purchased a 175 Spirit and in the process of rigging it for use for Bass fishing. Have purchased a new Trolling motor I will mount on the bow and per Motor Guide's recommendations, installed the 6 guage wire to provide the proper voltage/amperage to the bow area. (required 15' length of cables) It was good advise, as I have NO drop in voltage from the battery to the bow connection. They also recommended a 50 amp circuit breaker which I placed in the fuse block area of the center console. (Marine 6 guage wire is expensive, ie $4.00 a foot and $54+ for the circuit breaker)

I really had no other option for the battery placement, as the space in the two stern compartments are taked by the cranking battery(starbord) and oil reservior (Port), but want to make sure it is safe.

GW has a great system for routing electrical cables/wires. :lol: