Locating a second Battery on floor of center console

ORCA

Reaction score
Because the fuel tank is under the floor of the center console on a 175 Spirit, can anyone tell me of any possible danger in locating a 12V Battery on the floor of the center console of a 175 Spirit? :?: Thanks for your hep.

richie rich

Reaction score
If the hatch covering the tank is properly sealed, it should be no more dangerous than the rest of your open wiring and electronics inside the center console, above your tank. The tank should remain isolated from everthing else, hence the drain plug for your bilge should always remain plugged in except for manual removal and water drainage from time to time.

ORCA

Reaction score
Thanks Rich.

Your first sentence makes a lot of sense. I should have known that. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a danger I had not thought about.

Not sure what your point is about keeping the bilge plug in. Are you refering to the drain pipe exiting the fuel tank compartment? If so, I don't believe that point is accessable on the 175. There was no plug in the pipe entering the aft bilge, when I received the boat. Should there be a plug there?

Thanks again for taking the time to be of help.

IN GOD WE TRUST!

richie rich

Reaction score
Orca. The point I was trying to make is that the fuel tank area should be isolated as much as possible from potential spark in case of a fume buildup. The rear bilge should have two drains. One that comes from the front bilge directly to the aft area unobstructed as is passes through the fuel tank area. And then a second drain that is normally plugged to limit fuel gasses that directly drain the tank area when you manually remove the plug.Neither area is XP rated. The open contacts and switches from toggles,battery switches,ignitions etc sitting just above your CC and fuel tank are just a hazardous in causing a fire as a battery in that area. But you should still make every effort to seal and isolate the tank with proper hatch and cover seals to prevent a buildup over time in the area.And just like when you fill the tanks. Before turning the ignition. All hatches should be opened and purged to remove any harmful gas buildup. Its the same throughout the entire boat.

ORCA

Reaction score
Thanks Rich,

That is exactly the kind of good info I was looking to receive from someone on the fourm.

ORCA

Gradywolf

Reaction score
Is your current battery not under one of the aft storage boxes?

When I bought my boat I only had 1 battery on the starboard side under the aft box. I have since added another battery under the port side box and a battery switch.

psilvers

Reaction score
Orca,

I have a 175 Spirit on which I put a bow mount trolling motor. TWO 12 V batteries are on the floor in the console. There have been absolutely no problems with this installation.

Pete

richie rich

Reaction score
Orca, the only thing I would add to that is the possibility to use AGM type batteries instead of acid filled to keep any potential of leaking battery acid from going anywhere, ie your deck cover and tank below and the fact that they can handle a bit more pounding which your relocation forward will add. Use a good battery box and tie it down securely. The newer boats and electrical components like toggles and panels are ignition protected...same as a bilge pump...so you should be good to go...proper ventilation is a must though....hopefully you have vents in the console...one low/one high on opposite sides makes for good continuous ventilation.