LOCKING GAS CAPS

alpumpdup

Reaction score
Got my sailfish out of winter storage and discovered that someone had emptied the main tank(150 gal) and 1/2 of the reserve tank over the winter....nice guys huh??...anyway does anyone have a recommendation of a brand of locking cap for grady's.....I would like to get one that someone already has and has not had any problems with it
thx
steve :twisted:

Brad1

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be purchasing the locking insert as well. Had a full tank of gas in my Seafarer parked outside my garage. Sometime within the past week, someone came along and took practically all of it.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
a timely question. i was just thinking about this issue before i logged on. here's a dilemma that i have: if you lock up, would it deter the theft or would they do major damage to get to the gas anyway? momma always told me locks keep out the honest people. ron

Barlow46

Reaction score
Based on the way the lock fits into the fill neck, I believe that if I were the gas thief, I would go to the next boat. The lock sits about an inch down into the fill neck and as I stated in the earlier post, it takes some practice to lock and unlock it. It would be easier to go through the access plate and cut into the fill hose than to fool around trying to get the lock undone.

TBone

Reaction score
Its so sad that we even have to discuss this :cry:

Its not a new thing that there are people in this world

who are total scumbags, but what the hell!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Any way I believe in Karma, so hopefully the train will pay the

gas thieves a visit on what they use it on :twisted:

Anyways, my "a-hole people" hate rant for the night.

Motivator

Reaction score
Is there a way to install either stainless expanded metal or stainless hardware cloth where the filler hose attaches to the tank so that the siphon hose can't reach the fuel? Just wondering.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Wish this had come up a couple of months ago, just finished reinstalling the fuel inlet along with new hoses. I don't see any reason hardware cloth couldn't work. Cut it in a circle slightly larger than the inlet tube, squeeze the edges slightly and insert it into the inlet with raw edges down, then push to the bottom using a large dowel. :wink:

Twisted28

Reaction score
I think the locking cap is the way to go. If someone is already in your boat and its on the water and they hit a blockage, they could be frustrated enough to dump some water in there as an "oh yea" sort of thing. Best bet in my opinion is to prevent them from even getting the cap off. Looking at it, they should just move on.

Twisted28

Reaction score
Do all Grady's have the Vented #541 cap as stated in the link for the locking gas cap? I have a 91 Marlin 280, with teh cap mentioned here work?

Brad1

Reaction score
Twisted28 said:
Do all Grady's have the Vented #541 cap as stated in the link for the locking gas cap? I have a 91 Marlin 280, with teh cap mentioned here work?

I wasn't sure if I had the #541 on mine, but looking into it further, I found there are other models that the lock fits into as well. Not just the #541. According to what I could find, it fits these models: 0540, 0541, 0580, 0581, 0582, 0583, 0590, 0591, 1318, 1319.

You might want to contact Grady White Customer service to inquire as to what model may have been used in '91. The insert does say it's for the vented caps, so if yours is non-vented (and if so, I would expect you would have a separate vent on the side of the hull), it might not work. If yours is vented, but not one of the models listed, perhaps you could replace your current one with one of the models listed.

Twisted28

Reaction score
Yea, mine is not vented in the cap, I have separate vents on the side on the hull.

If anyone knows of a non-vented locking cap, please let me know.

And I thought pirates were only on the water....

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
Twisted28 said:
Yea, mine is not vented in the cap, I have separate vents on the side on the hull.

If anyone knows of a non-vented locking cap, please let me know.

And I thought pirates were only on the water....

im having the same problem pleaes let me know.