Long-Term Corrosion Protection

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for prevention of corrosion to the OUTER block, wiring, etc, anything under the engine cover of the Yamaha. Used a waxy product from Mercury a few years back, seems to work pretty well, was wondering what the other readers may be using.

And, fogging oils that are introduced through the air intake? Are these all the same, or are there any clear-cut favorites out there? Thanks.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I was told by Jimmy(you remember him??) and others that Boeshield T-9 was the stuff.
I have it sprayed inside the cowling on the wiring, etc. before I go to the Keys every year..So far, no problems with my Yamaha 200's.

This is worth noting, I think. My son Jason has a Donzi ZX with twin 150 Optimax's and has had it in the salt several times. (We live in Indiana and mostly boat in fresh..)
After each trip when the Merc covers are removed, the block, wiring and generally the whole visible parts of the engine are covered in salt. It's like the seals on the cowlings are bad, letting the salt water in. Sometimes when we come off plane, the following sternwave covers the engines if we chop the throttles fast.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I have been spraying the exposed surfaces, wiring, etc under the cowling with a light coat of Corrosion-X in the fall when I store the boat for the winter and it seems to do a good job.

Bill

TBone

Reaction score
I used Fluid Film, the local hardware guy carried it, and it worked well.

mez

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I use CRC 656. I spray it on everything except the flywheel.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CRC 656 is made for this purpose and is safe on electricals. Remember you are spraying on a worjking engine that gets hot, and on wires, it needs to be safe for that enviornment and super hot temps so what ever you use, make sure it can handle those elements.

As for fogging oils, not sure what engine your fogging through the intake, best way is directly into each cylinder, pul each plug one by one and spray a small amount, one quick tap of the nozzle is enough, and turn the engine over after each cylinder is done to coat it. This is the bet method, intake is ok but does not ensure that each cylinder is completely winterized correctly.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gradyfish, i got a little confused, do you spray fogging oil on all cylinders first and then turn the engine, or after each cylinder turn the engine put back the plug etc.etc. , or doesn't matter ? Do you guys run antifreeze through the engine(outboard) as part of the winterization?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Gradyfish, i got a little confused, do you spray fogging oil on all cylinders first and then turn the engine, or after each cylinder turn the engine put back the plug etc.etc. , or doesn't matter ? Do you guys run antifreeze through the engine(outboard) as part of the winterization?

Clean around the opening for the plugs, then remove them. Make sure the plastic extension tube is securely attached to the fogging oil nozzle, (so you don't have to go fishing it out of the cylinder when it flys off :roll: ), then spray a 1 second shot of fuggin oil into each cylinder. With plugs still out, and kill-switch clip removed, crank the engine for 4 or 5 seconds. The re-install the plugs.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do something similar. The power off, the kill cord out, and the engines in gear. I yank all the plugs and spray fogging oil into the cyl's while turning the engine by turning the engine by the prop with my foot. Then put the old plugs back in. There is no use junking up new plugs when you fire it up next year. Don't wear good clothes since it can spit a little (I'd rather spray a little more than necessary than not enough).

For the water: I take the raw water hose off the seacock, then stick it into a gallon jug of antifreeze. Open the washdown spicket and set the 3 way valve for washdown then turn the pump on. When the spicket flows deep pink, I turn the valve to livewell and run the rest of the antifreeze.

Also pour some antifreeze down the drains of the sinks and bozes.

All seacocks open.

Pull the prop(s).

Change lower unit oil before splashing next year.[/code]