Looking at a 1994 252 Sailfish. Need Advice

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've had my eye on a 1994 GW 25 Sailfish for a few weeks now and I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. I was wondering if anyone out there has this model and how do you like it. Burn rates?? How does the hull ride in a decent chop?? The one I'm looking at had a pair of Yamaha 200's hpdi on a euro transom. The cabin looks a bit outdated with the teal and grey berth trim and grey cushions but i figured I can change that at anytime. Should I be worrird about transom rot on this model or did GW make improvements in 1994? People told me to stay away from GW's because they are infamous for transom rot. Any thoughts??? Thanks in advance

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 200 HPDI was one of the best motors Yamaha put out, but how many hours and how it was maintained will effect things a lot. As far as rot, most boats that age are suspect of transom issues. It all boils down to how well it was sealed and if anyone messed with it. Either way, get a survey to check the transom, motors,.... and go for a ride. Everyone has different opinions on how a boat rides in various conditions, you're the one buying it so that's the one that matters.

You get anywhere from 1.3 to 1.8 MPG depending on sea conditions and load.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I picked up a '92 last year and there is no signs of wood rot. I have been all through it and even pulled the tanks to recoat them and inspect this year and you can see the wood through the cloth and it is all clear and bright with no signs of anything to worry with. Like Grog said, depends upon how well it was taken care of and what it has been exposed to.

I have the twin 200 HPDI's and they are very powerful for the 25. On plane is instantaneous and I can tweek and get right at 49mph. I have removed bottom paint this winter and re-gelcoated the bottom and hoping to gain some mpg due to less drag and maybe even gain that 1mph so I can say it will do 50. :D

My fuel burn was in the neighborhood of what Grog stated as well. I would love to see 2.0 with no bottom paint! Fingers crossed. I have to believe it will be an improvement since the bottom paint was really rough.

I don't think I could have been any happier with any other boat out there I have looked at. I love the layout and it handles great once you get used to how to trim her out!

Dustydog

Reaction score
Robert what size props are you running and what rpm are you topping out at? I have a 91 252 and only getting 44 mph.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dusty, I have the Yamaha SWS II props at 17 pitch. I can't recall the exact RPM's, but do recall that they were right at the 5500 limit when tweaking out the motor trim, with tabs up and was right on 49mph. I believe these to be the right props for this setup .I have the bracket drive, so euro transom might be slight different if more running surface, but not sure on that if it can make a difference.
I will be checking it again when I get splashed in for first time this season in couple of weeks. Will try to let you know what I find out if I can remember to report back to this post.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have 14" x 19P and I'm also right around 50, if I had to get new props I'd get 15 1/4 X 17.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I had a 252 with the engines mounted in the stern cut out. The vibrations from my twin Evenrudes (175 hp) created small cracks in the bottom corners of the notch.I had to have the corners repaired and reinforced. I now have the 95 272 that is basically the 252 with the added euro stern with the Grady upgrade ( glasses in aluminum heavy gauge angle) with 200 HPDI motors. There is much more room with the bracket or euro stern, and much dryer to. The 200 HPDI motors are great. Just keep the fuel filters clean and keep up with the normal maintenance. I had the OX66 motors on the 272 when I got it but traded them in a year later for the HPDIs. The newer motors made a wonderful difference in fuel economy, performance, less oil usage, less smoke, and faster starting. Get a complete survey on the hull, electronics, and motors. Good luck. Marty

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dusty, did my first shakedown after all the work I did over the winter.

The wind was strong today and even in the river, it was rough. Tight 2' chop with oposing current. I ran diagonal with the wind and got 49mph at 5800rpm's with these props. No matter how much trim, I could not get that number 50 out of it, but close enough.

What I did seem to benefit from is the slick bottom. Running at 30mph in this same condition, I now get 2.0 to 2.1mpg where before I would get 1.6 to 1.7.
Running against the wind, I got 1.9.
Filled up the boat fuel tanks and retried and got near same results near the 1.9, but sometimes would drop to 1.8 at 30mph into the wind.

I have to say, that is very sweet and should help with some of the fuel bill. I think for sure, these are the right props for this model.

Now, to get the wind to die down some so I can get offshore. Ran out the inlet and it was 4-6' in the current, so got a good chance to see how she does, and I was impressed! I went out and veered away from the inlet and let her drift for a bit while I messed with the electrics and the drift is really nice even in those seas. I looked around and did not see any other boats out there, so I came right back in.