Looking at a 2005 185 Tournament - hull damage question

VanIsleGuy

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a 2005 185 Tournament which has some hull damage. It would be my first boat and I know these boats are really well built, so I'm not sure if the hull damage is more or less cosmetic or something more serious that needs $ and attention. The current owners are 3rd owners and said the boat bottom has never been painted, and the boat has always been stored inside during winter. They seem to have taken relatively good care of it for a 15 year old boat. A couple pictures are attached, one just to show the general boat and the second closer photo of the hull. Any comments/advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• grady_white_185.jpg
    grady_white_185.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4413.jpg
    IMG_4413.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is that actual damage or simply "rub" marks from the trailer crossmember pad? From the picture, I can't tell that there's actually any damage.

seasick

Reaction score
I can't tell how bad it may be either. It looks like scrapes or rubbing at best or maybe a gouge at not so best case. I don't think it is due to impact because I can't see any cracks but the photo is not very detailed. Is that upper section flat or i it a depression?
Perhaps the cat knows:)

Gullchaser

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Looks like just a little bit of trailer rash. It is more evident because the hull is not painted, but to me it doesn't look like anything concerning.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What does that area feel like to your hand? How about acetone - does it remove some of the coloring?

In general, though, "real" damage to a keel tends to be pretty obvious. The keel of a boat is VERY strong - for it to be actually damaged takes a VERY big hit. Nothing that I see looks like that - but given my viewing perspective, I think you'd be better able to judge it in person.

VanIsleGuy

Reaction score
I feel a bit foolish, I didn't even think of trailer rash. It was a first viewing and I was in a bit of a rush so I didn't get under to feel the hull, but zooming in on the photos I don't think there is much else other than scuffs. It still deserves a closer look.

Biggest thing for my wife is the sticker shock for a 15 yr old boat. They want $43K CAD (about $32K USD). The 2005 Yamaha 150 has 650 hours (plus a 5 yr old kicker) and they are including the Lowrance, 2 digital down riggers, a bow cover, full cover/canvas package, bimini top and closed in top with curtains. Lots of stuff, but still. The upholstery is marginal, a stitched up tear in the bow, a taped over rip on rear jump seat and the captain's chair has some threading holding on for dear life. I admit I wonder if it is worth it, but perhaps this boat and motor still have many years of life left?

seasick

Reaction score
Sounds a bit steep at least based on pricing in my area of the north east.
Will the motor hold up? Hard to say, but I always tell folks looking at boats to look at the general condition of the boat. It if looks beat up and not decently maintained, in general you can assume the motor was not treated all that well either. Hint: Tilit up the motor and look for prop or skeg damage. Everybody hits something sooner or later. Folks who take good care of their boats have their props reconditioned or replaced. You might be surprised at the condition of some props.
As I mentioned, I don't like the cracking. especially on such a small hull. It is easier to judge the value after you have inspected several boats. It will give you a better idea of what conditions to expect.
I have a 19 year old 208. Walkarounds generally are more expensive originally than centers and I estimate the listed ask price of my boat would be about $18,000 including a decent trailer. My boat is in pretty good shape but has some age related wear as one would expect. ( Cushions and canvas are in good condition:))

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
You would have to want it pretty bad for that price and maybe you do. On the other hand how badly does he want to sell it? Make him a offer.

Stevejd001

Reaction score
You would have to want it pretty bad for that price and maybe you do. On the other hand how badly does he want to sell it? Make him a offer.
I agree. that's quite a price tag. I'm on this site because I just bought the same year and model for 21k with only 160 hours. I figure I paid what it's worth. My insurance company verified boo value to be about this as well. You're looking at a good boat but not a reasonable deal at that amount. Good luck.

VanIsleGuy

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it is overpriced. It does have about 6-7K worth of extras, but even if you add that on it's probably still at least 5K over, if not 10K. Complicating things is it's such a strange time in the boat market. Dealers can't get the inventory they want, so supply on new boats is way down, and demand is way up as a large enough number of people figure if they are staying local due to covid they might as well get a boat. I'm going to keep looking, but at least at this point I think I've found the type of boat that perfectly suits what I want to do in the fresh and salt water around me.