Looking for Recommendations for combination GPS / Fish Finde

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
(Moderator: Can you please leave this post on the general discussion board, where more people are likely to see it than on the Electronics discussion? Thanks)

Looking to spend a max of about $750. I have been told that the Blue Water cards really drive the cost of these units up, so if you have any suggestions for a unit not using these cards, I'm all ears. Any of you skippers that have these combo units, could you let me know why or why not you like it? Thanks so much. Hot Ajax

BCLII

Reaction score
Re: Looking for Recommendations for combination GPS / Fish F

New or used?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

A combination unit for $750 doesn't leave much, Lowrance HDS5. A 5" screen is OK as a FF or plotter but fitting both is futile, just choose which you want at that moment. If you can step up to a 7" (about $800) you'll be happier.

BCLII

Reaction score

hotajax said:
(Moderator: Can you please leave this post on the general discussion board, where more people are likely to see it than on the Electronics discussion? Thanks)

Looking to spend a max of about $750. I have been told that the Blue Water cards really drive the cost of these units up, so if you have any suggestions for a unit not using these cards, I'm all ears. Any of you skippers that have these combo units, could you let me know why or why not you like it? Thanks so much. Hot Ajax

PM Sent!!!!

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I have a Garmin 2010 color that you can connect a transducer to it. I'll let it go cheap.

seasick

Reaction score

BCLII said:
hotajax said:

PM Sent!!!!
You can buy the HDS with basic coastal maps only and save about $200 over the Nautic Insight maps. I have a HDS5 but I only use the sonar. GPS is a backup to my Garmin. I prefer two screens especially for the 5 inch models. I have played with 7 and 10s on friends boats. They wouldn't fit on my 208 but if you have the space, bigger is better. That said, although the 10 and 7 for that matter (the 5) can handle plotting, sonar and radar, multiple screens are really needed for that much data.
I will continue to use my older Garmin as my GPS until it dies. I think the user interface is more straightforward than the HDS.