Lower unit stuck

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Even bigger hammers than I was using :)
Just curious, how does that not damage bearings or the crank case? I wouldn't think the bearings or case could handle that much load in that direction.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just curious, how does that not damage bearings or the crank case? I wouldn't think the bearings or case could handle that much load in that direction.
I had similar "thinkings". But after talking with the tech he said there's nothing to worry about - he's done it a whole bunch more times than me so I'll default to real life experience trumping theory. I think, in the end, it's a case of overthinking things without knowing the true nature of what the stresses are and how that impacts the parts at hand. Or, at least, that's likely the reason for me - I'm not making any assumptions for you! :)

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I had similar "thinkings". But after talking with the tech he said there's nothing to worry about - he's done it a whole bunch more times than me so I'll default to real life experience trumping theory. I think, in the end, it's a case of overthinking things without knowing the true nature of what the stresses are and how that impacts the parts at hand. Or, at least, that's likely the reason for me - I'm not making any assumptions for you! :)
I sincerely hope it doesn't, but if a main bearing takes a dump in the near future, we will know why.
That said, I'm often amazed at the abuse and neglect some machinery can take, then baffled by how little it can take to trash something. Ox66's were known to be able to take a beating, so I'm sure you'll be ok. For extra measure rub some tcw3 on it!