Lowrance 3G/4G Radar, HDS 10?

apaladino

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing LOWRANCE BROADBAND RADAR, 3G or 4G along with a HDS 10 chartpolotter for my 258 Journey. It seems to have a lot of advantages over the traditional pulse radar. I need the radar for night, fog and occasionally, high seas. Does anyone have any experience with these units, positive, neutral, or negative?

GulfSea

Reaction score
I've been using the predecessor, BR24, and am very pleased. My experience is you won't see birds but boats within 5 or so miles show up fine. The real value is close-in navigation. Mine has shown small buoy markers literally right off the bow; jet ski's are a concern here and they show up very well.

At first I only used the radar screen and later added a rate compass for overlay to the chart screen. I use that feature all the time, especially when coming in from offshore when other craft blend into the horizon. I've also used it to identify typical small Florida storm cells as far away at 12-14 miles with success. 3G and 4G essentially doubled what I have so they can only be better.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Go for it, and I promise you will not be disappointed.

We went from a Lowrance LRA-2000 displayed on an LCX-112C, to a Lowrance 3G to an HDS-7. Still have the LCX, and when it dies a large HDS will replace it.

Brian

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have the HDS10 with 50/200 khz transducer, Structure Scan with 83/200 khz, 3G radar, LGC-4000 GPS High speed reciever, Sirius Satellite, Simrad AR42 Rate compass and this thing is amazing in what it can do.
Will be adding another HDS10 Gen 2 later this year. I am not sorry at all!

Just be prepared on how to connect all this together. You have to build a NMEA 2000 network with terminators, etc. Lots of reading on posts and figure out what you want out of the entire package and what you need to order in addition to make it all work, like connectors and extra cables, extension cables, etc.