Macerator pump on my 2001 Marlin is dead!

Gary M

Reaction score
Tried to dump the holding tank the other day and when I pressed the two buttons, nada. It was with the entire DC system energized. I tried it again with a cabin light on and the light slightly dimmed indicating that power was probably getting to the motor. It has the two button control panel.

Boat is a 2001 and I'm not sure what type/model tank & pump that I have. Can the pump be IN the tank?

Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? Anything that I can look for?

Thanks!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

Gary M

Reaction score
Further research shows that 12v are going to the tank so it's not the switch and most likely the pump itself.

Time for more research! We will be selling the boat later this year so I want to keep the repair to a minimum.

Thanks for the link........ I'll read it now.....

Gary M

Reaction score
Here's a photo............ The grocery bags have spare props in them for our Bahamas trips...

Boat062.jpg

What all is entailed in replacing a bad pump that is in the tank?

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am a cheapskate on some items (like the poop pump) and have been working on mine lately as well. Last spring it malfunctioned and I removed it to find a paper towel wrapped around the impeller. Oh, first I put some RV sanitizing powder for holding tanks in and put lots of FRESH water. I then had it pumped out by the marina. It worked for a bit and then quit again. Last weekend I removed it again, disassembled the impeller and removed the shaft seal, lubed it with some prop shaft lube and reinstalled it. So far it is working. I believe if it is used regularly I may be able to keep it running. The alternative is to purchase a standard macerator pump for $200 instead of the $450 Grocco and buy some plumbing parts to run it into the tank. (1 1/2 inch PVC and a short section of PVC pipe)

freddy063

Reaction score
I just picked up my pump, 276.00, I had the same trouble, last year it work for a while, I remove it clean the shaft on the motor and it work for a few more weeks, but it allways seemed to stop working when I had a boat full of people,if you want one for that price message me.

Gary M

Reaction score
I had a mechanic look at it (he was there for my trim/tilt motor problem!) and the first thing he said was "Make sure that you get it fully flushed and emptied first"! Haha! I told him that it hadn't been pooped in for over a year and that "what" was in there was mostly water........but I got the message!

I always flush it with just water and sometimes with the blue treatment stuff to keep the motor, etc working and exercised. Last year I turned myself into a pretzel when I replaced the toilet flush motor so I want to make sure that it keeps working! I have a local fuel dock that will suck the tank empty.......

In the West Marine catalog, they show a Groco pump that looks just like the top of mine......... for only $576!

How hard is that thing to take out to clean it? Obviously the hoses probably have to come off but does the wiring too?

Thanks!

Reactions: mvz123a

freddy063

Reaction score
Just remove the hoses, wires, and looks like yours have 12 screws holding it in. Get a bucket pick it up and put it in the bucket, with your garden hose clean it , check the blade on the bottom to see if anything got stuck in it. The motor should spin free, if not, use a oil to spray up in the bearing, and see if that helps. The motors are 278.00 or somewhere around there. Not a big job.

Grady678

Reaction score
You are due for a new macerator. Replacement is a snap but not cheap. Defender sells them for $350 delivered. I had same issue and explored every avenue and ended up doing the 15 minute project myself. The key is flushing with freshwater after you pump out. I'll bet the switch and hoses are fine. The capacity level indicator may be shot but not worth replacing. Good luck and PM me if you like.

Thank you for clarifying you do not store food in the Whole Foods bags.......... :mrgreen:

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I removed mine twice in the past 3 years. The impeller just needs to be lube'd up and it should start working again. I usually try to click the on button every month or two during the winter months to make sure it doesn't freeze up and I also pour a ton of the pink antifreeze (as it is a anticorrosive). Removing the pump is not a tough job to do but easier if you take it out on the lawn and connect the wire to a battery to test it. I get a brush and go to town on it. Hopefully this buys me a few more years.

Gary M

Reaction score
Grady678 said:
I'll bet the switch and hoses are fine. The capacity level indicator may be shot but not worth replacing.

We pulled the switch panel out and checked that out and it was fine from there. Indicator too. We had 12V all the way to the wires on top of the tank.

Thanks for your advice here guys. I'm going to tackle the job myself.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If anyone used a reusable type scott towel and flushed it in bowel, same thing, it will jam the cutter blade.
Been there, done that.

Unless you flush the system with clear fresh water added to holding tank last time you used macerator to leave it and lines clear, you are in for a messy job, even if the pump was outside the tank. (word of advise for others!)
Been there, done that too.

I'd tend to want to convert the system to free standing macerator outside.
I've even applied the pump rebuilding kit on those at a fraction of the cost as the (expensive) motor was fine.

Having the pump that long for10 yrs in service doing a nasty job on demand, got your money's worth out of it.