man overboard in VA Beach

engineersx2

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
the following link will take you to an interesting tale about a lucky person who fell out of a boat coming back from an off shore fishing trip in Va. Beach.

the video is great to view as I can only imagine how I would feel. I just showed this video to my 15 yr old son, to remind him why we keep doing head counts on our GW.

http://www.drjball.com/overboard/overboard.html

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for posting that. It is a sobering reminder of how quickly things can go wrong.

Good job to the captain and crew, for a quick discovery of the missing crew-member, and rapid response. Although the outcome of this SAR is what everyone wants, I would have done a few things differently.

When they first approached the MOB, I would have thrown a life ring to him. With no way to know how fatigued he was, he still was in jeapardy even though the boat was right there.

They also seemed to have no plan as to which side he was to be approached, forcing him to swim out of the way of the boat, then back. The rescue should not have required so much activity on the MOB's part.

When he was climbing into the boat, it seems there should have been more assistance. They more or less let him do it on his own.

After he was back in the boat, someone asked him if he needed a towel. I probably would have just given him one.

What would you have done?

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I brief everyone the MOB plan before we clear the inlet. In an emergency situation the Captain directs individuals to take specific actions. Never say, someone do this or that. The Life ring is the very first item to go in the water. Before it goes over we clip either the SPOT with 911 active or a an activated PLB. These go over immediately when we see the victum. If we are in the area that we know the MOB happened, the ring goes over even if we don't see the victum. The call goes oBy expanding your search aarounf the floating ring, you will be searching in the direction of the current. The goes out to the USCG at the same time. Often there is little time to waist, every minute counts.

Glad he got back in the boat ok. Alone in the open ocean you are no longer at the top of the food chain; departing the boat is not a good idea.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My Rule, No pissing off the side of the boat! , ever. Use the head.... or hold it. No head use a bottle or cup.

Glad he was ok , but I agree fisrt thing throw the guy a life ring.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't recall ever seeing a formal man overboard checklist. Any chance the Great Grady Gang can come up with one? Does there need to be more than one to cover various scenarios such as...

MOB - you see him go over.

MOB - been overboard a short period of amount of time.

MOB - been overboard an unknown or long period of time.

I would think one would mark ones position on the GPS immediately upon realizing that you have a man overboard.

If you see the person go over, definitely throw a life ring. Not sure about throwing a life ring for drift purposes. If it's windy, the ring will move a lot faster than a person in the water.

Immediately call for assistance?

I'd sure like to see your checklists.

Gary 89 Overnighter

awnuld

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
New to boating, I understand.. MOB => Man over board
but what is:

SAR => ?

PLB => ?

tks

awnuld

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks.. might have figured it out if I tried harder. I keep meaning to take one of those boater's safety classes offered in my area... I expect such things are covered in the class..

Yeah that was my first rock ever last spring... it was awesome...

Sent a report with a pic of the 'Admiral' and I holding it to the MD DNR website and were published in the Cheasapeake Bay fishing report... got a 'good' citation later .. was pretty cool.