Manual vs Hydraulic Steering Question

jdelnick

Reaction score
I am considering a 208 Adventure with a Yamaha 225 4 stroke and manual steering. Is it possible to add hydraulic steering and if so, what is the cost and benefits?

seasick

Reaction score
jdelnick said:
I am considering a 208 Adventure with a Yamaha 225 4 stroke and manual steering. Is it possible to add hydraulic steering and if so, what is the cost and benefits?
I am pretty sure that Grady would put more than 175 on a 208 unless hydraulic steering was also installed.

Take a look at the scuppers also to see where they sit relative to the water line. If you will be out with several friends, figure that additional in too ( and full tank of gas). Lots of those boats with the heavier motors end up with the scuppers under water and that is really annoying and potentially risky

GW96208

Reaction score
We have a 1996 Adventure 208 with the original no feedback mechanical steering connected to a Yamaha 200. The mechanical steering is near the end of its life. Would like to upgrade the steering this year to a Teleflex hydraulic system and it appears that Teleflex's HK6400 kit should do the trick. Does anyone know what hose length is needed? Where/how are the hydraulic hoses routed in the 208? Are there any tricks to replacing the mechanical steering with hydraulic in an Adventure 208? Thanks.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gents, I'm someone that came from mechanical steering to hydraulic steering. When I had my Escape I installed one of those Steersman nuts with the grease fitting and had 0-probllems. I now have hydraulic and am replacing ram seals. That is after I figure aout how to get the frozen steering brackets off. Then I need to bleed the system, Sea Star fluid is $20/quart and figured that the 2-quarts I just bought wouldn't be enough so I had to buy a gal of aviation hyd fluid for about $45 delivered. Point is, mechanical steering is problem free and you should think real hard if you want another maintenance item in your life.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm sure if it is done right you will be fine. I have to say the power hydraulic steering is very nice. I did have a recall on the power unit. Lucky it went at the end of the year for me and it was covered under warranty. I agree though - just another system that can go bad and bleed dollars.

pbaygrady

Reaction score
Hi all,
1995 208 owner here. I just upgraded from cable to a new SeaStar system on our boat. Havn't seatrialed yet but she feels a lot nicer on the hard. Its a 4hr install for someone who's done it before. So double it if your doing it yourself for the first time. The old cable is routed under the floor in a chase tube. Pulling it out is pretty easy as is pulling the new hoses thru with it. Went 2' longer on the hoses and fits perfect, with plenty of slack (but not too much) to allow for tilt.

BTW first post, great site!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
All steering can and probably will be trouble ... if preventive maintenance isn't part of the program. Cylinders and links should be hosed down after every trip, rams oiled down before storage, steering links should be disassembled every fall and threads/bearing surfaces lubricated, system should be bled before storage to eliminate internal moisture. Using and forgetting eventually results in rude reminders, whatever the type ... :hmm

GW96208

Reaction score
Hello again. We are in the process of swapping out the old mechanical steering with the SeaStar hydraulic system. We got the ram connected up to the motor. The motor needed to be lifted off the transom to get enough access to the tilt tube to insert the rod. It's a good idea to clean out the tilt tube with a wire brush and drill before you stick the rod in the tube otherwise it might not go in easily.

Now we are working the helm side. My question: The dash has the 3 1/4 inch cutout for the old mechanical system. For those that replaced their mechanical system with hydraulic, did you use the Teleflex drilling jig (Teleflex Part No. HA5467)? Also, did you use the back plate kit (Teleflex Part No. HA5418)?

If anyone can post up or PM a picture of their 208 helm with the SeaStar hydraulic system, that would be much appreciated.