Marlin 30 - Access Hatch for Bilge in Rigging Area

vangrady

Reaction score
I own a 1990 Marlin and have noticed that some owners have installed an access hatch in the deck to reach into the aft bilge area. I have to in this area quite frequently for maintenance and cleaning and it is a real pain to cut the silicone, remove all the screws and pull up the aft deck plate. Can any owners out there recommend a brand and size of watertight hatch that works well for you and allows easy access to this area of the boat?

Many thanks guys.

ocdansar

Reaction score
I had a 93 marlin I built a box there and stored my honda eu200 generator shore power cord and other accessories I don't remember the size but it was great storage

bhemi

Reaction score
Count me in!

What a great idea. The access is horrible. The deck plates are barely big enough to get in and open the through hulls. You can't do anything with the deck hatch installed. In fact if I'm working on a project that needs constant access I just set in place until I'm sure everything works and then seal it up.

A hatch doesn't have to be completely water proof it just needs deep gutters to direct any water to a drain which puts the water safely in the bilge and not all over your generator etc. I just replaced my forward bilge pump and am thinking about adding an extra little one to get the water the bigger ones don't. I think I will get the little rule pump that just cycles and keeps going if detects water.