Marlin 300 compared Robalo 305

A

Anonymous

Anyone ever looked at and compared the 2? Any likes and dislikes , mixing and matching of the 2?

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
I thoroughly checked out the Robalo 305 at the Miami Boat show when it came out a couple of years ago.

The Robalo has terrible ergonomics compared to the Marlin. It's got a goofy raised gauge display at the helm that I felt blocked my forward visibility, just a terrible way to display them.

It also had a molded in foot rest on the passenger side that tripped every person coming out of the cabin. I knew it was there and still tripped over it myself. It got to the point that a salesman stood there and warned people to be careful as they came up from the cabin, another terrible design.

I felt the Robalo was very well built and had a higher degree of quality than the Marlin. It also had a nice sharp bow entry and I bet it slices through the rough water well.

I see they've been putting on twin F350's, that much weight may influence the way it rides, test ride it to be sure. Be warned those F350's like to suck the gas too.

A

Anonymous

I was on one at a local dealer for about 2 hours yesterday. It had a pair of 250's on it. I did not like the top pod arrangement as you stated, but could certainly live with it. The cockpit was way better than a Marlin for fishing. The fit and finish was excellent. The battery/electric compartment is the way it should be on all boats. The diesel gen and pump access looked fine to work on and maintain. The price was 150K and that was before bargaining. I am looking over all my options , I want to move up in size. I want a modern boat with modern building techniques, composites. Lighter materials with proper hull design equals a better fuel economy and softer ride. I need to take a ride over to the Pursuit dealer and spend a few hours over there too. I have never been brand loyal to anything, but I do always want what I like and feel is the best.

I forgot to add the fish boxes were amazing ! The tackle center and bait prep is great and I fell in love with. I fish , so does my wife and kids. It is a real fishing machine.

I love the 28 Carolina Classic, if is only came with outboards. Prop shaft are not for me when fishing the bay, I really really do NOT want 2 boats.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
I agree the Robalo does have more modern construction than the Marlin, fiberglass stringers vs wood covered with fiberglass mat in the Marlin. The windshield on the Marlin looks like it came from WalMart.

You didn't mention if the Robalo you looked at was new or not, if it is $ 150K is a great price. I would think the F250's would be fine too. Pursuit came out with a new model last year, their 315 Offshore. Its the best of the best but with a higher price tag to match and only comes with F250s.

Robalo has an owners group too, check it out:

http://www.robaloboatowners.com

A

Anonymous

Yes, the 150 was new. it was actually 171, but the have a 21K factory rebate, Still 171 list is still ALOT cheaper than the POS Chesapeake and like 100 times more boat, the Marlin is way over priced and yeah ALOT of its items look like it was bought and assembled via Walmart ! I am going to do some reading on the Robalo link.

Thanks for your honest input...maybe more will follow. Grady White is a very good boat, I am in no way trying to bash them..they just need to step up to the plate and get with the times which has been said many numerous times already.

I did not even speak of the cabin set up on the Robalo but holy shit what a set up !!!! Eddie and Kris should really take a tour of the Robalo plant and learn something new !
Pete

sickday

Reaction score
IMO, (and that doesnt mean too much :wink: ) The Robalo sucks you in with a lot of bells and whistles! There are a ton of creature comforts, and man, the boat is gorgeous. However, my general concern was the overall quality of construction. GW will also hold its value better.

There arent many boats that beat out GW with quality of construction. That means a lot when our 50 miles offshore.

Good luck with your purchase, both boats are great and you're going to have a blast with it