Marlin 300 electrical issue

mcoleman

Reaction score
Marlin 300...30' with twin 250s

I went to switch on my main DC current switch and subsequent DC accesories and nothing is working. Main battery bank switches are operational. Main 50 amp bus is operational. Motors crank fine and DC accesories not running through the DC breaker board are working fine. Only the accesories switched on and off at the DC breaker board are inoperative. Any ideas on a possible cause? Could one battery be dead and cause a problem like this but still have one cranking the motors, etc?

One additonal issue...when I turned off the motors back at the dock all the accesories wired through fuses such as spreader lights, courtesy lights, etc, worked fine. There seemed to be a little "juice" getting to cabin lights (wired through the DC switch board which seems not to be operating)...anyone seen this happen before or have an idea what might be going on?

Also, when I fired the generator up it did not seem to be getting water for the cooling and exhaust even thgough that seacock was open. Red lights on the switch panel came on. Could the pump for getting water to the generator also be running on this DC line that seems not to be getting power?

no problem

Reaction score
My boat has a small red dc circuit breaker reset button in the bilge near the batterys. if tripped it stops all power to the cabin and dash etc. maybe try that.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Electrical problem

I would check the fuzes at the helm. They are under the rubber buttons. You did of course check the circuit breaker by the batteries. The big yellow throw switches under the battery selector switches. I baffooned that away trouble shooting my windless!

mcoleman

Reaction score
g0tagrip thanks for the idea. Yes, I did check the yellow switches under the battery selectors. I learned that lesson one time when my wyndless tripped. None of the accesories on the helm are working which would mean all the fuses blew? I guess that is a possibility. We'll see. Are there any other fuses between the main yellow switch and the DC switches on the board in the cabin?

seabob4

Reaction score
When you guys talk about fuses, are you really meaning breakers? I mean, fuses are what Bayliners use...
Shruggingshoulders.gif

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seabob4 said:
When you guys talk about fuses, are you really meaning breakers? I mean, fuses are what Bayliners use...
Shruggingshoulders.gif

Every boat has inline fuses somewhere in the boat.

no problem

Reaction score
My boat has a whole panel of glass fuses in the cabin in addition to the breakers at the helm switch panel.

sickday

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I figeured out the exact problem but I took apart the uit, cleaned it real good and put it back with a new bulb. Works fine for now,,,,Thanks for all the repliies

seabob4

Reaction score
Capt Armchair said:
seabob4 said:
Shruggingshoulders.gif

Every boat has inline fuses somewhere in the boat.

Inline fuses for the trim tabs and auto-floats, yes. That's 2, and they are both easily accessable. Any electronics installs with their own in-lines, yes, but they aren't part of the original boat. At Wellcraft, the only in-line we had was for the Bennett tabs. At Stamas, the same. Proline? The same. Auto-floats and stereo memory were protected by breakers wired constant hot. In fact, provide a tab breaker and you can do away with the Bennett fuse.

So what's the deal with all these fuses?
Shruggingshoulders.gif

mcoleman

Reaction score
So does anyone have any suggestions for my original problem where none of my DC panel accesories are coming on? I'm referring to the fact that my none of my DC panel switches (in the cabin next to the AC 120 volt switches) seem to be operational. The main 50 amp bus (at the battery switches) is not tripped. This boat has very few fuses, mostly breakers...the difference between a Grady and all the rest!

seabob4

Reaction score
mcoleman said:
So does anyone have any suggestions for my original problem where none of my DC panel accesories are coming on? I'm referring to the fact that my none of my DC panel switches (in the cabin next to the AC 120 volt switches) seem to be operational. The main 50 amp bus (at the battery switches) is not tripped. This boat has very few fuses, mostly breakers...the difference between a Grady and all the rest!

Sorry to de-rail. From your 50A breaker in the stern, you'll have probably a 6GA feeding the helm via a positive bus. Another 6GA will come off the bus and feed the main 12VDC breaker on your panel, which will in turn feed the individual breakers for each appliance. Pull your panel down and see if you have 12V on the DC main. Does your panel have a DC voltmeter on it? If so, is it showing voltage with the main breaker on?

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
12 volt DC

I just looked under the helm on my Marlin. There is a 12 Volt DC fuze box covered with a plastic cover. Push the yellow spring clip take the cover off and check those fuzes. There are also two in line fuzes under the helm just to the right (looking up) on the starboard side. I would check those if the ones in the fuze box are good.
Standing by for a reply.